1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra determinant of linear operator

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] linear algebra determinant of linear operator

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let T be a linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space V.
    Define the determinant of T as: det(T)=det([T]β) where β is any ordered basis for V.

Prove that for any scalar λ and any ordered basis β for V that det(T - λIv) = det([T]β - λI).

2. Relevant equations

Another part of the problem yielded that for any two ordered bases of V, β and γ , that det([T]β) = det([T]γ).

3. The attempt at a solution

I need someone to help me understand the notation. I don't actually know what I am being asked to prove here.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2

Vid

T is the general linear transformation. [T] is the matrix that represents the linear transformation with respect to the basis B. If we change the basis, then we change the matrix since if TX = Y where X and Y are the coordinate vectors in K^n representing the abstract vectors x,y in V. (We can do with since any n dimensional vector space is isomorphic to K^n.) These coordinates are just the coefficients of the basis vectors.
    ie:if x = a1v1 +a2v2 + .. + anvn where v1 ...vn is a basis then the coordinate vector for x just (a1,a2,a3,...,an). Obviously these coordinates change when the basis changes. The same holds for Y which means our matrix will need to change to reflect this.

Also, X and Y are column vectors so that the matrix multiplication is defined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?