1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: does it form a basis?

1. Dec 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See attachment.

3. The attempt at a solution

I already did parts i and ii (correctly, I hope). On part iii I found 2 linearly independent elements to be: t+1, t^2 - 1.

However, I don't understand how to show that these form a basis of W. Because W is a subspace of P2, and P2 has dimension 3, we know W has at most dimension 3. But I only have 2 elements, not 3, so I can't use this to show that I have a basis. Perhaps the constraint that p(-1) = 0 reduces the dimension, but I don't know how to prove this.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A polynomial in W is can be represented by an ordered pair of numbers (a0, a1): p(t)=a0+a1t+(a1-a0)t^2. So the set W is isomorphic with the set of ordered pair of numbers ...

ehild

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    the constraint that -1 is a root gives
    [itex]a_0-a_1+a_2=0[/itex]
    [itex]a_0=a_1-a_2[/itex]

so then

[itex]a(t^2-1)+b(t+1)=at^2-a+bt+a=at^2+bt+(b-a)[/itex]

since a is the coefficient on t^2 and b is the coefficient on t we can let
    [itex]a=a_2[/itex] and [itex]b=a_1[/itex]
    to find
    [itex]a_2(t^2-1)+a_1(b+1)=a_2 t^2+a_1 t +(a_1-a_2)[/itex]
    from the constraint we found [itex]a_0=a_1-a_2[/itex]
    and so
    [itex]a_2(t^2-1)+a_1(b+1)=a_2t^2+b_1t+a_0[/itex]

you follow?

I should also add, every constraint you add to a system reduces the dimension of it by 1, adding another root would make it a 1 dimensional problem

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not really...:smile: I would do it just on the opposite way.

Those polynomials which have root -1, are of form pa,b(t)=at^2+bt+(b-a), that is pa,b(t)=a(t^2-1)+b(t+1), which means all such polynomials are linear combination of the basic "vectors" p1=t^2-1 and p2=t+1. Two basic vectors define a two-dimensional subspace.

That is right.
    With one more constraint, there would be only one free parameter, so the space would become one-dimensional.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook