1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Find Orthogonal Matrix Q that diagonals

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm told to find the matrix Q of the matrix A
    equation 1.PNG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So my problem is that in the answer key they have S = (1/3)... and I have no idea where this 1/3 comes from. I get an equivalent answer for X_1, X_2, and X_3
    S = [X_1, X_2, X_3] but when I form this matrix with the values for X_1, X_2, X_3 I'm not able to factor out a 1/3. Does anyone know where this value comes from?
    This is the solutions

equation2.PNG
    and this is my attempt, again I would get the same answer but have no idea were the 1/3 came from.
    IMG_20160424_204918869.jpg
    thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An orthogonal matrix is a unitary matrix. Therefore ##Q^*Q = QQ^*=I##. This is why the vectors making up the column of ##Q## must be orthonormal - 1/3 is a normalization constant.

4. Apr 24, 2016 #3
    How do I calculate this normalization constant? Thanks for your help. Like I'm exactly sure which vector I'm normalizing and getting 1/3. But I know to normalize a vector it's

V/||V||

Thanks for your help!

5. Apr 24, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A vector is said to be normalized if its norm equal unity.

6. Apr 24, 2016 #5
    So it's just

1/sqrt((1+1+1)^2)?

7. Apr 24, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't understand what you want to say there.
    Suppose you have three component vectors ##u = (a,b,c)^T##. In order to make it normalized you have to add a common constant by yourself to the vector: ##u = \gamma (a,b,c)^T##. By requiring its norm to be equal to one, namely ##\gamma^2(|a|^2 + |b|^2 + |c|^2) = 1##. This way you can find ##\gamma## in terms of the components of ##u##. For a general unitary matrix, ##\gamma## can be complex but since here the problem asks for an orthogonal matrix, ##\gamma## must be real.

8. Apr 24, 2016 #7
    Oh I see that makes more since to me know. So it's for the whole Matrix S? When I square all the terms in S and sum each row individually I get 9, so the constant must be 1/sqrt(9) = 1/3.

What if each row doesn't sum up to the same value like it did in this case?

Thanks for your help!

9. Apr 24, 2016 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then you cannot pull the common normalization constant out of the matrix's bracket. Nothing wrong with that.

10. Apr 24, 2016 #9
    ah ok thanks for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted