Linear Algebra Help Projection

In summary, the speaker is struggling with question #15 and believes that they may be overthinking it. They are asking for help or guidance on how to approach the question and thank the listener for their time. They also mention having completed question #14 successfully and express uncertainty about question #16.
xDJ23x
Stumped on #15. I feel like its much easier than I am making it out to be and that maybe I am just over thinking. Any help or leads would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

http://gem.jsu.edu/service/home/~/MS352%20Test%231%20Take%20Home%20Portion%20June%202012.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=47121&part=2

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm getting an error with the link.

Also, if you want some help you have to show what you have tried already.

Sorry about the link. And thanks for your time. I have had trouble where to start but I think that I was just reading it wrong. I did #14 just fine. I'm pretty sure that I can figure out #15. #16 I'm not so sure. Any leads would be appreciated. Again thanks for your time.

Attachments

• MS352 Test#1 Take Home Portion June 2012.pdf
    81 KB · Views: 143

1. What is projection in linear algebra?

Projection in linear algebra is the process of finding the closest vector in a subspace to a given vector. It is used to decompose a vector into orthogonal components and is an important tool in solving systems of equations and understanding transformations.

2. How is projection calculated?

In order to calculate projection, you can use the formula proju(v) = ((v · u) / (u · u)) * u, where u is the unit vector in the direction of the subspace and v is the given vector. This formula represents the scalar projection of v onto u, which can then be multiplied by u to find the vector projection.

3. What is the difference between orthogonal and oblique projection?

Orthogonal projection is when the subspace and vector are perpendicular to each other, meaning the projection will be a straight line. Oblique projection is when the subspace and vector are not perpendicular, resulting in a curved projection.

4. How is projection used in real life?

Projection is used in various fields such as computer graphics, engineering, statistics, and data analysis. In computer graphics, it is used to create 3D images by projecting 3D objects onto a 2D plane. In engineering, it is used to analyze forces and motion in structures. In statistics and data analysis, it is used to find the best fit line for a set of data.

5. What are some common applications of projection in linear algebra?

Some common applications of projection in linear algebra include solving systems of linear equations, finding the best fit line for a set of data, and understanding geometric transformations such as rotations and reflections. It is also used in conjunction with other concepts in linear algebra, such as matrices and eigenvectors, to solve more complex problems.