Linear Algebra Homework Question

In summary, for an nxn matrix A=[a,b;c,d], it is proven that A is diagonalizable if -4bc < (a-d)^2 and not diagonalizable if -4bc > (a-d)^2. This is determined by the characteristic equation for eigenvalues and the condition of having two distinct solutions to the quadratic equation. However, the process requires careful attention to signs in order to accurately determine the diagonalizability of A.
simplyderp

Homework Statement

Prove that A=[a,b;c,d]
is diagonalizable if -4bc < (a-d)^2
is not diagonalizale if -4bc > (a-d)^2

Homework Equations

For an nxn matrix, if there are n distinct eigenvalues then the matrix is diagonalizable.
For an nxn matrix, if there are n linearly independent eigenvetors then the matrix is diagonalizable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Characteristic equation for eigenvalues:
|λ-a,-b;-c,λ-d| = λ^2 + λ(a-d) + (ab - bc) = 0
λ = 0.5 * (d - a plus-or-minus sqrt((a-d)^2 - 4ad + 4bc))

For part 1, I need to show that there are two distinct solutions to this quadratic equation (b^2 - 4ac > 0: a,b,c from general quadratic eq - not from this problem)
I know that (a-d)^2 + 4bc > 0

However, I do not know how to show that (a-d)^2 - 4ad + 4bc > 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
simplyderp said:

Homework Statement

Prove that A=[a,b;c,d]
is diagonalizable if -4bc < (a-d)^2
is not diagonalizale if -4bc > (a-d)^2

Homework Equations

For an nxn matrix, if there are n distinct eigenvalues then the matrix is diagonalizable.
For an nxn matrix, if there are n linearly independent eigenvetors then the matrix is diagonalizable.

The Attempt at a Solution

Characteristic equation for eigenvalues:
|λ-a,-b;-c,λ-d| = λ^2 + λ(a-d) + (ab - bc) = 0
λ = 0.5 * (d - a plus-or-minus sqrt((a-d)^2 - 4ad + 4bc))

For part 1, I need to show that there are two distinct solutions to this quadratic equation (b^2 - 4ac > 0: a,b,c from general quadratic eq - not from this problem)
I know that (a-d)^2 + 4bc > 0

However, I do not know how to show that (a-d)^2 - 4ad + 4bc > 0
Expand the (a - d)2 term and then combine like terms. You're almost there!

You've got a minus sign wrong in your characteristic equation.

I had trouble with the same exact problem recently. Your process is correct. You just have a minus sign error.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, linear functions, matrices, and vector spaces. It is used to study objects and systems that can be represented as linear equations and to solve problems related to them.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is important because it has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It helps in solving real-world problems by representing them in a mathematical form and finding efficient solutions.

3. What are the basic concepts in Linear Algebra?

The basic concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, determinants, and linear transformations. These concepts are essential in understanding and solving problems in Linear Algebra.

4. How is Linear Algebra used in data analysis?

Linear Algebra is used in data analysis to represent and manipulate data in a mathematical form. It helps in finding patterns and relationships in the data, performing dimensionality reduction, and solving optimization problems. Linear Algebra techniques are also used in machine learning algorithms for data classification and prediction.

5. What are some common applications of Linear Algebra?

Some common applications of Linear Algebra include image and signal processing, computer graphics, cryptography, network analysis, and robotics. It is also used in physics for solving problems related to motion and forces, and in economics for modeling and analyzing economic systems.