1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Infinite fields and vector spaces with infinite vectors

1. Jan 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F be an infinite field (that is, a field with an infinite number of elements) and let V be a nontrivial vector space over F. Prove that V contains infinitely many vectors.

2. Relevant equations
    The axioms for fields and vector spaces.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm thinking this is easier than I'm making it. Can I say, at the very least, F is countably infinite, so then there exist an infinite amount of scalars to apply to V?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it really is that easy. Since V is a non-trivial vector space it contains a non-zero vector, v. And then for any a in F, av is in V. The "non-trivial" part of the proof is showing that if [itex]a_1\ne a_2[/itex] then [itex]a_1v\ne a_2v[/itex] but that is easy to show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook