1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra-Inverses

1. Feb 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine which of the formulas hold for all invertible nxn matrices A and B

1. (In-A)(In+A) = In - A^2
    2. (A+B)(A-B) = A^2 - B^2
    3. A^8*B^5 is invertible
    4. (A+A^-1)^9 = A^9 + A^-9
    5. AB = BA
    6. A+A^-1 is invertible

I know 5 is right, and number 2 wrong, but what else?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2007 #2

radou

Homework Helper

A starting hint: a product of regular matrices is a regular matrix.

4. Feb 27, 2007 #3
    I know that but that doesn't solve the problem

5. Feb 28, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For 1, 4, and 6, just go ahead and do the multiplication! What is (I-A)(I+A)?
    If you don't want to actually multiply (A+A-1) nine times, try one or two times and see if you can't find a pattern. That's how you solve math problems- you try things, you don't just sit and try to "remember" how to solve it! As for (A+ A-1) try to guess an inverse and then do the calculation to see what happens. Try it with a simple diagonal matrix first. (Another general math method- to do complex problems, try a few simple examples first.)

6. Feb 28, 2007 #5
    I sub n is an identity matrix. 2, 3 and 5 seems to work when using a diagonal matrix.

7. Feb 28, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

You're not interested in diagonal matrices, you're interested in all regular (i.e. invertible) matrices. Take, for example [tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 2\\0 & -1\end{array}\right)[/tex], and [tex]B=\left(\begin{array}{cc}-1 & 0\\2 & 3\end{array}\right)[/tex]. Obviously [tex]AB\neq BA[/tex], although both det(A) and det(B) are non-zero.

Edit: after reading this, you should easily see if (2) holds or not for two regular nxn matrices A and B.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  8. Feb 28, 2007 #7
    Thanks radou, after some thought, I figured out that 1 and 3 are the only formulas that hold for all invertible n x n matrices A and B.

9. Mar 1, 2007 #8

radou

Homework Helper

Assuming that by " (In-A)(In+A) = In - A^2 " you meant " (In-A)(In+A) = In^2 - A^2 ", where In = A^-1.

10. Mar 1, 2007 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In= A-1? Why would you assume that? Craigy specifically said In is the n by n identity matrix.
    (In- A)(In+ A)= In2+ InA- AIn+ A2. Since InA= AIn= A, and In2= In, yes, (In- A)(In+ A)= In- A2.

11. Mar 1, 2007 #10

radou

Homework Helper

The notation confused me, it's okay now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?