Which Inverses of Matrices are Invertible?

• Thread starter craigy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
Thanks for the help.In summary, after discussing various formulas involving invertible nxn matrices A and B, it was determined that only formulas 1 and 3 hold true for all such matrices. Formula 1 states that (In-A)(In+A) = In^2 - A^2 while formula 3 states that A^8*B^5 is always invertible. Other formulas were found to be true for specific cases, such as formula 5 for diagonal matrices, but not for all regular matrices.
craigy
1. Homework Statement

Determine which of the formulas hold for all invertible nxn matrices A and B

1. (In-A)(In+A) = In - A^2
2. (A+B)(A-B) = A^2 - B^2
3. A^8*B^5 is invertible
4. (A+A^-1)^9 = A^9 + A^-9
5. AB = BA
6. A+A^-1 is invertible

I know 5 is right, and number 2 wrong, but what else?

Physics news on Phys.org
A starting hint: a product of regular matrices is a regular matrix.

I know that but that doesn't solve the problem

For 1, 4, and 6, just go ahead and do the multiplication! What is (I-A)(I+A)?
If you don't want to actually multiply (A+A-1) nine times, try one or two times and see if you can't find a pattern. That's how you solve math problems- you try things, you don't just sit and try to "remember" how to solve it! As for (A+ A-1) try to guess an inverse and then do the calculation to see what happens. Try it with a simple diagonal matrix first. (Another general math method- to do complex problems, try a few simple examples first.)

I sub n is an identity matrix. 2, 3 and 5 seems to work when using a diagonal matrix.

craigy said:
I sub n is an identity matrix. 2, 3 and 5 seems to work when using a diagonal matrix.

You're not interested in diagonal matrices, you're interested in all regular (i.e. invertible) matrices. Take, for example [tex]A=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 2\\0 & -1\end{array}\right)[/tex], and [tex]B=\left(\begin{array}{cc}-1 & 0\\2 & 3\end{array}\right)[/tex]. Obviously [tex]AB\neq BA[/tex], although both det(A) and det(B) are non-zero.

Edit: after reading this, you should easily see if (2) holds or not for two regular nxn matrices A and B.

Last edited:
Thanks radou, after some thought, I figured out that 1 and 3 are the only formulas that hold for all invertible n x n matrices A and B.

craigy said:
Thanks radou, after some thought, I figured out that 1 and 3 are the only formulas that hold for all invertible n x n matrices A and B.

Assuming that by " (In-A)(In+A) = In - A^2 " you meant " (In-A)(In+A) = In^2 - A^2 ", where In = A^-1.

radou said:
Assuming that by " (In-A)(In+A) = In - A^2 " you meant " (In-A)(In+A) = In^2 - A^2 ", where In = A^-1.

In= A-1? Why would you assume that? Craigy specifically said In is the n by n identity matrix.
(In- A)(In+ A)= In2+ InA- AIn+ A2. Since InA= AIn= A, and In2= In, yes, (In- A)(In+ A)= In- A2.

HallsofIvy said:
In= A-1? Why would you assume that? Craigy specifically said In is the n by n identity matrix.
(In- A)(In+ A)= In2+ InA- AIn+ A2. Since InA= AIn= A, and In2= In, yes, (In- A)(In+ A)= In- A2.

The notation confused me, it's okay now.

1. What is an inverse in linear algebra?

An inverse in linear algebra refers to the mathematical operation that "undoes" another operation. In other words, given a matrix A, the inverse of A (denoted as A-1) is a matrix that, when multiplied by A, results in the identity matrix (a square matrix with 1s on the diagonal and 0s everywhere else).

2. How do you calculate the inverse of a matrix?

To calculate the inverse of a matrix, the most common method is to use the Gaussian elimination algorithm. This involves performing elementary row operations on the original matrix (such as swapping rows, multiplying a row by a constant, or adding a multiple of one row to another) until the original matrix is transformed into the identity matrix. The resulting transformed matrix will be the inverse of the original matrix.

3. Can every matrix have an inverse?

No, not every matrix has an inverse. A matrix must be square (with the same number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant in order to have an inverse. If the determinant is zero, the matrix is said to be singular and does not have an inverse.

4. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix has many applications in linear algebra, including solving systems of linear equations, finding the solution to a matrix equation, and calculating determinants. It is also useful for performing matrix operations such as multiplication, division, and finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. Can the inverse of a matrix be used to solve any linear algebra problem?

No, while the inverse of a matrix is a powerful tool in linear algebra, it cannot be used to solve all problems. For example, it cannot be used to find the inverse of a non-square matrix or a matrix with a zero determinant. Additionally, the inverse may not always be computationally feasible to calculate, especially for large matrices.