• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Linear Algebra: Matrix Transformation

Homework Statement

Find the matrix that represents a rotation counterclockwise around the origin by 75 degrees followed by a reflection about the x-axis

Homework Equations

I know that for A rotated counter clockwise you use the 2x2 matirx [cos(theta), -sin(theta)] [sin(theta, cos(theta)] and for a reflection about the x-axis you use the 2x2 matrix [1,0] [0,-1].

The Attempt at a Solution

To be perfectly honest, I am unsure what to do with this information. I don't want the problem solved i just need some guidance, please!

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the matrix that represents a rotation counterclockwise around the origin by 75 degrees followed by a reflection about the x-axis

Homework Equations

I know that for A rotated counter clockwise you use the 2x2 matirx [cos(theta), -sin(theta)] [sin(theta, cos(theta)] and for a reflection about the x-axis you use the 2x2 matrix [1,0] [0,-1].

The Attempt at a Solution

To be perfectly honest, I am unsure what to do with this information. I don't want the problem solved i just need some guidance, please!
Why don't you take each transformation in turn by itself? You should be able to examine your result and figure out how to make a composite transformation matrix from individual transformation matrices.