1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Proof of the characteristic polynomial for the inverse of A

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A is an nxn invertible matrix. Show that

PA-1(x) = ([tex]\frac{(-x)^n}{det(A)}[/tex]) *PA(1/X)

2. Relevant equations
    det(AB) = det(A)det(B)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok from what I understand this is the proof for the characteristic polynomial for the inverse of a matrix. The professor said that we need to use somehow the equation above.

I also understand that the equation is usually of the form det(A-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I) = 0, but I cannot see how to form this given the final equation which we need to produce.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2010 #2
    Try substituting the definition of the characteristic polynomial into the equation you are trying to verify. You get [tex] \det(Ix- A^{-1}) = \frac{(-x)^n\det(Ix^{-1} - A)}{\det(A)} [/tex] If you notice that [tex] \det(-Ix) = (-x)^n [/tex], then the rest is matrix arithmetic using the equation you provided.

Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook