1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra proof question

1. Dec 14, 2008 #1
    the question is in this link?

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/5041/55025174kd6.gif

i dont know how to prove it
    i know basic stuff
    that Ker T is all the vectors which go to line of zeros in matrix row reduction.
    Im T is produced when i traverse the matrix and do a ow reduction
    and the remaining(non zero) vectors are Im T
    i also know that V=Im T + Ker T

??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The question appears to be asking "Is there a linear transformation T, from R3 to R3 such that ker T is a subset of the inverse of T and such that the kernel of T is spanned by (1, 1, 0). I may be misunderstanding since what I am interpreting as "inverse of T" is shown as "T-1" and if that is so then the problem is trivial: in order to have an inverse, T must be one-to-one- in other words ker T must be {(0,0,0)}. The second questions ask the same about a linear operator S but has kernel of T spanned by (3, 1, 0) and (2, 0, 0). That seems too trivial a question. I may be misunderstanding "T-1" and "S-1".

4. Dec 14, 2008 #3
    sorryy disregard -1 thing
    in my language its the word for "AND"
    so its first expression and second expression

5. Dec 14, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, any linear function from R3 to R3 maps (x, y, z) into (ax+ by+ cz, dx+ ey+ fz, gx+ hy+ iz) so finding a linear function is just a matter of finding 9 numbers. You are told that the kernel is spanned by (3, 1, 0) and (2, 0, 0) so you know that 3a+ b= 0, 3d+ f= 0, 3g+ h= 0, 2a= 0, 2d= 0, and 2g= 0. That should help a lot! Since the kernel is 2 dimensional, you know that the image must be only 1 dimensional: all columns are multiplies of each other. Finally, you want that one dimensional image to be a subspace of the kernel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?