Linear Algebra: Prove that the set of invertible matrices is a Subspace

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
Millacol88
Messages
86
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Is U = {A| A [itex]\in[/itex] nℝn, A is invertible} a subspace of nℝn, the space of all nxn matrices?

The Attempt at a Solution


This is easy to prove if you assume the regular operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. Then the Identity matrix is in the set but 0*I and I + (-I) are not, so its not closed under vector addition or scalar multiplication. Is there a way to prove this without assuming the usual vector operations?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Millacol88 said:

Homework Statement


Is U = {A| A [itex]\in[/itex] nℝn, A is invertible} a subspace of nℝn, the space of all nxn matrices?

The Attempt at a Solution


This is easy to prove if you assume the regular operations of vector addition and scalar multiplication. Then the Identity matrix is in the set but 0*I and I + (-I) are not, so its not closed under vector addition or scalar multiplication. Is there a way to prove this without assuming the usual vector operations?

Not until they tell you what the alternative addition and multiplication operations are. I don't think you have to worry about that. Your examples are just fine.