1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Question (Kronecker Delta?)

1. Sep 19, 2013 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For fixed m ≥ 1, let ##\epsilon(i,j)## denote the m x m matrix ##\epsilon(i,j)_{rs} = \delta_{ir}\delta_{js}##, where i,j may denote any integers in the range 1 ≤ i,j ≤ m.

(a) When m = 4, write out all ##\epsilon(i,j)## explicitly and label them correctly.

The attempt at a solution

My course hasn't started yet and all I know about the Kronecker delta/Levi-Civita epsilon notation is what little I've seen in videos.

They haven't stated the parameters of r and s, but I guess that doesn't matter since ##\delta_{i,j} = 1## if and only if i = j, and 0 otherwise?

All I can think of at the moment is this (can anyone tell me if this is correct?):

##\epsilon(1,1)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{1s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{11}##
    ##\epsilon(1,2)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{2s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{22}##
    ##\epsilon(1,3)_{rs} = \delta_{1r}\delta_{3s} = \delta_{11}\delta_{33}##
    (...) etc. making 16 values in total. Is this the kind of thing they're looking for?

I still can't quite understand what I'm doing -- how does ##\delta_{11}\delta_{22}## represent an entry in a 4 x 4 matrix, for instance? Does that mean that both the entries in row 1 column 1 AND row 2 column 2 have value 1?

(I apologise for deleting the 'relevant equations' section -- I literally don't know which ones are relevant.)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi FeDeX_LaTeX! :smile:
    No, they want you write out eg ##\epsilon(1,1)## as a matrix:

##\epsilon(1,1)_{11}\ \ \epsilon(1,1)_{12}##
    ##\epsilon(1,1)_{21}\ \ \epsilon(1,1)_{22}## :wink:

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Thanks for the reply -- I'm confused... how did you know ##\epsilon(1,1)## should be a 2 x 2 matrix?

5. Sep 19, 2013 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He does not say that ##\epsilon(1,1)## is a 2 x 2 matrix; he just shows you some of what you need to compute. The question actually say m = 4, so you need a 4 x 4 matrix.

6. Sep 19, 2013 #5

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

So I'm completing a 4 x 4 matrix consisting of only ##\epsilon(1,1)##?

7. Sep 19, 2013 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]\epsilon(1,1)[/tex] IS a 4x4 matrix. The r,s entry of it is given by [itex] \delta_{1r} \delta_{s1} [/itex].

In particular you will notice that many of the entries of this matrix are zero. Can you identify what values of r and s make [itex] \delta_{1r} \delta_{s1} [/itex] non-zero?

8. Sep 19, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It reads to me like it wants you to write out all 16 of the 4 x 4 matrices, although I don't see what the point of doing that could possibly be---unless, maybe, there is a pattern that it is important to exploit later in some context.

9. Sep 19, 2013 #8

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Sorry, I wasn't aware it represented a matrix -- I thought it just represented some number permutations. So ##\epsilon(1,1)## is just going to give me a 4 x 4 matrix with zero for every entry apart from the top-left, right?

r = s = 1 makes it non-zero?

10. Sep 19, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's correct. The other ones can be solved similarly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted