1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - set of piecewise continuous functions is a vector space

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A function f:[a,b] [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ℝ is called piecewise continuous if there exists a finite number of points a = x0 < x1 < x2 < ... < xk-1 < xk = b such that
    (a) f is continuous on (xi-1, xi) for i = 0, 1, 2, ..., k
    (b) the one sided limits exist as finite numbers

Let V be the set of all piecewise continuous functions on [a, b]. Prove that V is a vector space over ℝ, with addition and scalar multiplication defined as usual for functions.

2. Relevant equations
    The axioms for fields and vector spaces.

3. The attempt at a solution
    If function addition and scalar multiplication work in the same way as usual, don't I just have to make an argument that the limits still exist as finite numbers (since our scalars are finite)? And a similar argument that if I add two functions that those limits will just be the sum of the two limits of each function?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose [itex]f, g\in V[/itex], and let [itex]h = f + g[/itex]. If [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are both continuous at a point [itex]x[/itex], what can you say about [itex]h[/itex] at that point? Is it continuous at [itex]x[/itex]?

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3
    It will also be continuous because the sum of two continuous functions will also be continuous. But do I need extra arguments besides that because V is the set of piecewise continuous functions?

5. Jan 25, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but we have learned something already. [itex]h[/itex] will be continuous at any point where both [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] are continuous, so [itex]h[/itex] can only be discontinuous at points where [itex]f[/itex] or [itex]g[/itex] are discontinuous, and there are only finitely many such points. Thus [itex]h[/itex] can have only finitely many discontinuities. So [itex]h[/itex] satisfies condition (a).

Now consider condition (b). If [itex]h[/itex] is discontinuous at [itex]x[/itex], what are [itex]\lim_{y \rightarrow x^+} h(x)[/itex] and [itex]\lim_{y \rightarrow x^-} h(x)[/itex]? Can you write these in terms of the corresponding one-sided limits of [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex]?

6. Jan 25, 2013 #5
    Would that not be just the sum of the two limits of f and g at x, or if one or both of those two functions is discontinuous at x, then I would just use the whatever sided-limit that I need?

7. Jan 25, 2013 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, you have [itex]\lim_{y \rightarrow x^+} h(y) = \lim_{y \rightarrow x^+} f(y) + \lim_{y \rightarrow x^+} g(y)[/itex], and similarly with the left hand limit. Since these limits exist for [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex], they also exist for [itex]h[/itex]. This shows that [itex]h[/itex] satisfies (b).

8. Jan 25, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So that shows that [itex]V[/itex] is closed under addition. What else do you need to show in order to prove that [itex]V[/itex] is a vector space?

9. Jan 25, 2013 #8
    Closure under scalar multiplication.
    Commutative/Associative for addition/multiplication.
    Additive identity/inverse.
    Multiplicative identity.
    Distributive property.
    Associative property for scalar multiplication.

10. Jan 25, 2013 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, these three are true for any functions so they remain true for piecewise continuous functions.
    Which functions do these correspond to? Are they piecewise continuous?
    If [itex]f \in V[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] is a scalar, is [itex]cf[/itex] piecewise continuous? Should be pretty easy to show that it is.

11. Jan 25, 2013 #10
    For the 2nd item you listed, would the additive inverse of f be -f and the additive identity of f be the 0 function that is discontinuous where ever f is discontinuous?

As for the 3rd item, I'm not entirely sure how I would go about showing that. It makes sense intuitively as to why it would be true, but I'm not sure how to put that on paper.

12. Jan 25, 2013 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Note that [itex]-f[/itex] is discontinuous at exactly the same points as [itex]f[/itex], and the left and right limits exist because they exist for [itex]f[/itex]. (Insert easy proofs as needed.)
    The additive identity of [itex]V[/itex] would be just the standard 0 function, which is continuous everywhere. Note that all continuous functions are in [itex]V[/itex] because the number of discontinuities (zero) is certainly finite, and the left and right limits exist due to continuity.
    Claim: [itex]cf[/itex] is continuous at any point [itex]x[/itex] where [itex]f[/itex] is continuous. (Proof?) Therefore [itex]cf[/itex] has at most finitely many discontinuities. What about [itex]\lim_{y \rightarrow x^+} cf(y)[/itex]? What does this equal?

13. Jan 25, 2013 #12
    Since that is just a constant (scalar in our case), it would equal c times whatever the limit of just f(x) was.

14. Jan 25, 2013 #13

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right. Expressing it formally:
    $$\lim_{y \rightarrow x^+} cf(y) = c \lim_{y \rightarrow x^+}f(y)$$
    by the linearity property of limits, and the right hand side exists because [itex]f \in V[/itex].

15. Jan 25, 2013 #14
    You have been more than helpful! I feel like I have a much greater understanding of this proof now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook