1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra (Similar Matrices)

1. Jul 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write the standard matrix representation TE for T.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    T\left(ax^3+bx^2+cx+d\right)=(a-b)x^2+(c-d)x+(a+b-c)
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]
    [T]_E=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    a+b-c \\
    c-d \\
    a-b \\
    \end{array}
    \right)
    [/tex]

I think this is right, but a subsequent problem asks me to show that this matrix is similar to another matrix. Similarity only makes sense for an n x n matrix, so this must be wrong.

Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The basis 'vectors' are x^3, x^2, x and 1. So ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=(a,b,c,d).This is exactly the same as other exercises you have already done, it's T(a,b,c,d)=(0,a-b,c-d,a+b-c). Sure, it's an 4x4 matrix.

4. Jul 20, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is T here a function from the space of polynomials of degree 3 or less to itself or to the space of polynomials of degree 2 or less? If the former, the matrix is 4 by 4. If the latter, it is 4 by 3 (but the first row is all "0"s).
    For example, taking x3 as the first "basis vector", T(x3)= ax2+ 0x+ a as a polynomial of degree 2 or less or 0x3+ ax2+ 0 x+ a as a polynomial of degree 3 or less. That is:
    [tex]T\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ 0 \\ a\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    in the first case or
    [tex]T\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ a \\ 0 \\ a\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    in the second.

Do you see that those give you the first column of the matrix?

5. Jul 20, 2009 #4
    Ah yes, I see. I was thinking of T as a vector instead of a transformation. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook