Linear Algebra: Proving Linear Dependence in Subspaces with Basis Intersection

In summary, the vector space V has a basis of vectors Bu and Bw, and it is linearly independent if and only if the vectors in the basis do not intersect. If Bw is not in the basis, then Bu union Bw is linearly dependent.
akima
Let V be a 9 dimensional vector space and let U and W
be five dimensional subspaces of V with the bases Bu
and Bw respectively,
(a) show that if Bu intersect Bw is empty then
Bu union Bw is linearly dependen
(b)use part (a) to prove U intersect W is not
equal to the 0 vector
now i have already done part (a), now i have already
done part (a). can you please help me..

for part a.. this is what i have briefly...
we know Bu intersect Bw has nothing in common.
Since Bu and Bw is a basis we know that it is linearly independent.
Therefore Let bu be a linearly independent
subset of a vector space V and let Bw be a
vector in V that is not in Bu, then Bu union Bw
is linearly dependent iff Bw is in the span of Bu... (by a theorem)
by definition of a basis we know, span ( Bu) = v
therefore, the question now is if Bw is in V
which is true ( definition of a basis)... therefore
Bu union Bw is linearly dependent if Bu intersect Bw is nothing...

Physics news on Phys.org
my homework is due tomorrow... if some one can help me before then or even give me a clue.. it will be appreciated... :)

Your argument is severely confused.
akima said:
for part a.. this is what i have briefly...
we know Bu intersect Bw has nothing in common.
Since Bu and Bw is a basis we know that it is linearly independent.
Therefore Let bu be a linearly independent
subset of a vector space V and let Bw be a
vector in V that is not in Bu

Here you have just defined [tex]B_U[/tex] for the second time, which won't fly. Either [tex]B_U[/tex] is a basis for [tex]U[/tex], or [tex]B_U[/tex] is an arbitrarily chosen linearly independent subset of [tex]V[/tex]. The first is what the problem says.
akima said:
then Bu union Bw
is linearly dependent iff Bw is in the span of Bu... (by a theorem)

No. For a single vector [tex]w[/tex], [tex]B_U \cup \{w\}[/tex] is linearly dependent if and only if [tex]w \in \mathop{\mathrm{span}} B_U[/tex]. It is false that [tex]B_U \cup B_W[/tex] is linearly dependent iff [tex]B_W \subset \mathop{\mathrm{span}} B_U[/tex], because [tex]B_W[/tex] has more than one vector in it (try to construct some simple examples in [tex]\mathbb{R}^3[/tex] with [tex]B_U[/tex] and [tex]B_W[/tex] having two elements each).
akima said:
by definition of a basis we know, span ( Bu) = v

No. [tex]B_U[/tex] is a basis for [tex]U[/tex], not [tex]V[/tex]; [tex]\mathop{\mathrm{span}} B_U = U[/tex].
akima said:
therefore, the question now is if Bw is in V
which is true ( definition of a basis)... therefore
Bu union Bw is linearly dependent if Bu intersect Bw is nothing...

It seems like you are thinking much too hard. The dimension of [tex]V[/tex] is 9. If [tex]B_U[/tex] and [tex]B_W[/tex] are disjoint, what is the size of the set [tex]B_U \cup B_W[/tex]? Can this set be linearly independent?

sorry about the late reply... I am kinda new to physics forum...
I am actually completely lost with this problem... well i would guess the Bu U Bw is linearly independent.. right? because any basis by definition is linearly independent... so wouldn't their union be independent as well? i don't know.. um just confused abou this problem..
if you could help me out that would be really great :)

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their properties. It involves the use of vectors, matrices, and other algebraic structures to solve problems related to systems of linear equations and transformations.

2. What is a subspace in linear algebra?

A subspace in linear algebra is a subset of a vector space that retains the same algebraic structure as the original space. This means that it must satisfy three conditions: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector.

3. How do you determine if a set is a subspace?

To determine if a set is a subspace, you must check if it satisfies the three conditions mentioned above for a subspace: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector. If all three conditions are met, then the set is a subspace.

4. What is the dimension of a subspace?

The dimension of a subspace is the number of linearly independent vectors that span the subspace. In other words, it is the minimum number of vectors needed to represent all other vectors in the subspace.

5. What are some applications of subspace in real life?

Subspaces have many applications in fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics. Some examples include image and signal processing, data compression, and finding optimal solutions in systems of linear equations.