1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - transformations

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Linear algebra - transformations

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Please take a look at:

Please take a look at #7, question c. To determine if the vector w is in the image (range) of T, I find the matrix B that represents the linear transformation T and find the solution to the system:

Bx = w,

because w has to be in the span of B (which I found to be the image of T). If it is consistent, w is in the range of T?

Thanks in advance,

sincerely Niles.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not clear to me what the "span" of a matrix would be! I think you mean the span of the vectors making the columns of the matrix T. Yes, that span, the "column space" of T is the image of the T and "image" is the "range" here. The crucial point is exactly how you show that w is in the image of T.
  4. Jan 16, 2008 #3
    I have the vectors that span the column space. I put these vectors together in a matrix I call B, and I write a new matrix <B|w>, and solve this. If consistent, w is in the column space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?