1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Vector Spaces; Dependent/Independent

1. Nov 15, 2011 #1
    Decide if the indicated set of functions are independent or dependent, and prove your answer.

[tex]
    \left\{cos^2(x),sin^2(x),sin(2x)\right\}
    [/tex]

This linear algebra course is killing me. It's much more abstract than I thought it would be. I realize this problem isn't exactly that, but I am so overwhelmingly frustrated with this class.

Dependence/Indepence is determined if one of the vectors is/is not the zero vector. But for functions how do I interpret this? Do I set it up like an equation and set it to the zero vector? AAAHHHH! So. Completely. Lost. I've read this section twice now and I feel I have nothing to show for it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2011 #2
    You need to determine whether:

asin2(x) + bcos2(x) +csin(2x) = 0

has any solution except a=b=c=0.

Basically can you write any of the three as linear cominqtions of the others. Do you know any realtions between sin2, cos2 and sin(2x)?

4. Nov 15, 2011 #3
    I realize that I can't do that, but how do I prove it? I was thinking about constructing a matrix but that seems ridiculous.

5. Nov 15, 2011 #4
    span(u,v) = span(u+v,u-v)

You can replace sin^2 and cos^2 with sin^2 + cos^2 and sin^2 -cos^2. Can you prove the resulting 3 functions are independent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook