Linear Approximation Homework: f(x,y)=(xe^y)^8

In summary, we are asked to find the partial derivatives and second partial derivative of the function f(x,y) = (xe^y)^8 and use a tangent plane to approximate the value of (0.98e^0.01)^8. The partial derivatives are 8e^(8y)x^7, 8x^8e^(8y), and 56e^(8y)x^6, respectively. To approximate the value, we can use the point (1,0) as it is close to (0.98,0.01). This gives us a value of approximately 0.9816.
KingBigness

Homework Statement

Let f(x,y) = [itex](xe^y)^8[/itex]

i) Find

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂y}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂x^2}[/itex]

ii) Using a tangent plane of f(x,y) find an approximate value of (0.98e^0.01)^8

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i)
[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x}[/itex] =[itex] 8e^{8y}x^{7}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂y}[/itex] = [itex] 8x^{8}e^{8y}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{∂^2f}{∂x^2}[/itex] = [itex] 56e^{8y}x^{6}[/itex]

ii) I have done many questions on finding linear approximations but I have always had a function, a point to evaluate the function at and points to approximate it at.

In this I have the function Let f(x,y) = [itex](xe^y)^8[/itex] and want to use it to approximate f(0.98,0.01) but I'm not sure at what point I should evaluate it at.

Can anyone help out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since .98 is reasonably close to 1 and 0.01 close to 0, I think x= 1, y= 0 would be a good try.

Was leaning towards that, just wanted to make sure.

That all worked out nicely, thanks for your advice =D

Related to Linear Approximation Homework: f(x,y)=(xe^y)^8

1. What is the purpose of linear approximation in this homework?

Linear approximation is used to approximate a function with a simpler, linear function in order to make calculations and analysis easier. In this homework, we are using linear approximation to approximate the function f(x,y)=(xe^y)^8, which may be difficult to work with in its original form.

2. How do you find the linear approximation of a function?

To find the linear approximation of a function, you first need to calculate the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable. Then, you can use these partial derivatives to construct a linear approximation, also known as the tangent plane, at a specific point on the function.

3. What is the formula for linear approximation?

The formula for linear approximation is: L(x,y) = f(a,b) + fx(a,b)(x-a) + fy(a,b)(y-b), where fx(a,b) and fy(a,b) are the partial derivatives of the function at the point (a,b).

4. Why is linear approximation useful in scientific research?

Linear approximation is useful in scientific research because it allows us to simplify complex functions and make them easier to analyze. It also allows us to make predictions and estimates about the behavior of a function at a specific point without having to calculate the entire function.

5. Can linear approximation be used for any function?

No, linear approximation can only be used for functions that are differentiable, meaning they have continuous partial derivatives. If a function is not differentiable, then linear approximation cannot be used.