Solving Linear Congruence: Finding Remainder with Modulo 7

• Thread starter Roodles01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, to find the remainder of a number when divided by 7 using rules of congruence, split the number into groups of three digits starting from the right, find the remainder of each group when divided by 7, and then form an alternating sum of these remainders. This will result in a number that is congruent to the original number modulo 7. For example, when applied to 2468135711201104, the resulting number is a = 7 (mod 7), which means that the original number is divisible by 7. This is a quick way to test for divisibility by 7.
Roodles01
I have a number with which I must use rules of congruence to find the remainder.
rules I must apply are;
split every 3 digits, starting from the right,
find the remainder of each 3 digit number on division by 7
form alternating sum of these remainders.

Thisnumber should be congruent to a modulo 7

the number is 2468135711201104

number 2 468 135 711 201 104
remain 2 6 2 4 5 6

Alternating sum 6-5+4-2+6-2 = 7
So a = 7 (mod 7)

I have gone through this several times with the same result
Would this be right?

Dividing through by 7 only to have a remainder of 7 seems a bit odd!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Roodles01! :smile:
Roodles01 said:

a is congruent to 7 mod 7 …

what is odd about that? :confused:

(btw, also works for remainders on division by 11 or 13 :wink:)

Not only is it "odd" to have a remainder of 7 when dividing by 7, it is impossible! What you are saying is that the remainder is 0. The calculation you have done is a test for divisibility by 7. Yes, 2468135711201104 is divisible by 7. The hard way to do that would have been to actually divide by 7: 2468135711201104 is 7 times 352590815885872!

Roodles01 said:
I have a number with which I must use rules of congruence to find the remainder.
rules I must apply are;
split every 3 digits, starting from the right,
find the remainder of each 3 digit number on division by 7
form alternating sum of these remainders.

the number is 2468135711201104

number 2 468 135 711 201 104
remain 2 6 2 4 5 6

Alternating sum 6-5+4-2+6-2 = 7
So a = 7 (mod 7)

I have gone through this several times with the same result
Would this be right?

You've shown that a is divisible by 7, because a = 7 (mod 7) is equivalent to a = 0 (mod 7).

This is one of the tests for divisibility by 7. To see how it works, consider a = 1000x + y.

Now 1000 = 6(mod 7) = -1 (mod 7).

Hence 1000x = -x(mod 7).

So 1000x + y = (y - x) (mod 7).

Therefore splitting a large number into groups of threes ("thousands"), working out the residues modulo 7 and affixing alternate signs to them before summing allows a quick way to calculate the remainder upon division by 7.

Related to Solving Linear Congruence: Finding Remainder with Modulo 7

1. What is a linear congruence?

A linear congruence is an equation in the form of ax ≡ b (mod m), where a, b, and m are integers. It represents a relationship between two numbers, where the remainder when dividing the first number (ax) by the second number (m) is equal to the given value (b).

2. How do you solve a linear congruence?

To solve a linear congruence, you can use the extended Euclidean algorithm or the Chinese remainder theorem. These methods involve finding the inverse of a in the equation ax ≡ b (mod m) and multiplying it by both sides to isolate x. Alternatively, you can use trial and error by substituting different values for x until you find one that satisfies the equation.

3. What does the modulo 7 mean in solving a linear congruence?

The modulo 7 (mod 7) indicates that the remainder of the division is taken when solving the linear congruence. This means that the result of the equation should be a number between 0 and 6, as these are the possible remainders when dividing by 7.

4. Why is solving linear congruences useful?

Solving linear congruences is useful in many areas of mathematics, including number theory, cryptography, and computer science. It allows us to find solutions to equations involving remainders, which have real-world applications such as in coding and data encryption.

5. Can linear congruences have multiple solutions?

Yes, linear congruences can have multiple solutions. For example, the equation 2x ≡ 4 (mod 6) has two solutions: x = 2 and x = 5. This is because both 2 and 5 leave a remainder of 4 when divided by 6. However, not all linear congruences have multiple solutions, and some may have no solutions at all.