Linear differential equations with constants coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve differential equations in the ring $\mathbb{C}[z, e^{\lambda z} \mid \lambda \in \mathbb{C}]$. The superposition principle can be applied to break down the equation into homogeneous and non-homogeneous subproblems, which can then be solved separately and combined to find the general solution. The process for solving both types of equations is also discussed, including finding eigenvalues and determining the form of the solutions. The correctness of the formulations is questioned and may need further examination.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Each element of the ring $\mathbb{C}[z, e^{\lambda z} \mid \lambda \in \mathbb{C}]$ is of the form $\displaystyle{\sum_{k=1}^n α_kz^{d_k}e^{β_kz}}$.

A differential equation in this ring is of the form $$Ly = \sum_{k=0}^m \alpha_k y^{(k)}(z)=\sum_{l=1}^n C_lz^{d_l} e^{\beta_l z} , \ \ \alpha_k , \beta_l \in \mathbb{C} \ \ \ \ (*)$$

At the linear differential equations we can apply the superposition principle. That means that we can split the problem $(*)$ into the subproblems $$Ly(z)=0, \ \ Ly(z)=C_lz^{d_l} e^{\beta_l z}, \ \ l=1, 2, \dots , n$$ so into an homogeneous and $n$ non-homogeneous equations. We solve these equations and then we add the solution of the homogeneous $y_{H}(z)$ and the solutions $y_{p_i}(z)$of the $n$ non-homogeneous equations.
So we get the general solution of the equation $(*)$, which is $$y(z)=y_{H}(z)+\sum_{l=1}^n y_{p_i}(z)$$

To solve the homogeneous equation $$\sum_{k=0}^m \alpha_k y^{(k)}(z)=0$$ we find the characteristic equation and its eigenvalues $\lambda_1, \dots , \lambda_m$.

• If $\lambda_1, \dots , \lambda_m$ are eigenvalues of multiplicity $1$, then the solution of $Ly(z)=0$ is $$y_{H}(z)=\sum_{i=1}^m c_i e^{\lambda_i z}.$$
  • If $\lambda_i$ is an eigenvalues of multiplicity $M>1$, then the $$e^{\lambda_i z}, ze^{\lambda_i z}, z^2e^{\lambda_i z}, \dots , z^{M-1}e^{\lambda_i z}$$ are $M$ linear independent solutions of $Ly(z)=0$.

To solve the equation $$\sum_{k=0}^m \alpha_k y^{(k)}(z)=C_lz^{d_l} e^{\beta_l z} \ \ \ \ \ (**)$$ we do the following:

• If $\beta_l$ is not one of the eigenvalues:

We suppose that the solution is in the ring $\mathbb{C}[z, e^{\lambda z} \mid \lambda \in \mathbb{C}]$, so it is of the form $$y(z)=e^{\beta_l z} x(z)$$

So $$y^{(k)}(z)=\sum_{j=0}^k \binom{k}{j}\beta_l^j e^{\beta_l z}x^{(k-j)}(z)$$

Substituting in $(**)$ we get the following equation, the order of which is the same as the order of $(**)$, $$\sum_{k=0}^m \beta_k x^{(k)}(z)=C_lz^{d_l}$$

The solution of the above equation will be polynomials.

The first non-zero term $\beta_k$ determines the degree of $x$.

For example if $\beta_o \neq 0$ then the solution will have degree at most $l$, and will be of the form $$x(z)=\gamma_l z^l +\dots +\gamma_0$$
    Then $$x'(z)=l\gamma_l z^{l-1}+\dots +\gamma_1 \\ \dots \\ x^{(l)}(z)=l!\gamma_l$$

Then $$\sum_{k=0}^m \beta_k x^{(k)}(z)=C_lz^{d_l} \Rightarrow \beta_o\gamma_kz^{d_l}+(\beta_0\gamma_{l-1}+l\gamma_la_1)z^{d_l-1}+ \dots =C_lz^{d_l} $$

So it must stand $$\beta_0\gamma_l=C_l \Rightarrow \gamma_l=\frac{C_l}{\beta_0} \\ \beta_0\gamma_{l-1}+l\gamma_la_1=0 \\ \dots $$

So to solve the differential equation we have to solve the above system.

We write this in the form of matrix. Can we be sure that we will find a unique solution? (Wondering)

In this ring the number of solutions is equal to the number of the order, right? How can we justify that? (Wondering)
  • If $\beta_l$ is one of the eigenvalues $\lambda_i$, and the multiplicity of $\lambda_i$ is $L$:

We suppose that the solution is in the ring $\mathbb{C}[z, e^{\lambda z} \mid \lambda \in \mathbb{C}]$, so it is of the form $$y(z)=z^L e^{\beta_l z} x(z)=e^{\beta_l z}\tilde{x}(z)$$ and we continue as in the previous case.
Is everything correct?

Could I improve something at the formulation? (Wondering)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance, all is ok, but need to read more carefully

1. What are linear differential equations with constant coefficients?

Linear differential equations with constant coefficients are equations in which the unknown function and its derivatives appear in a linear form, and the coefficients of these terms are constants. They are useful in modeling physical systems and solving mathematical problems in various fields.

2. What is the general form of a linear differential equation with constant coefficients?

The general form of a linear differential equation with constant coefficients is: any(n) + an-1y(n-1) + ... + a1y' + a0y = f(x), where y is the unknown function, an, an-1, ..., a1, a0 are constants, and f(x) is a given function.

3. What are the methods for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients?

There are several methods for solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the Laplace transform method. The choice of method depends on the specific form of the equation and the given initial/boundary conditions.

4. Can linear differential equations with constant coefficients have non-constant solutions?

Yes, linear differential equations with constant coefficients can have non-constant solutions. The constant coefficients refer to the coefficients of the unknown function and its derivatives, not the solution itself. In fact, most linear differential equations with constant coefficients have non-constant solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of linear differential equations with constant coefficients?

Linear differential equations with constant coefficients have many real-life applications, such as modeling population growth, analyzing electrical circuits, predicting the behavior of mechanical systems, and solving problems in economics and finance. They are also used in fields like physics, chemistry, and engineering to describe various phenomena and solve problems.