Linear equations and homogeneity of space and time

In summary, Einstein argues that the equations governing the motion of bodies must be linear due to the property of homogeneity which we ascribe to time and space. This implies that x=7, which is special because it has a special property of its own, is not special because of the velocity that is used to boost it.
khil_phys
Einstein, in his paper "On the Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies", part 1, sec. 3, writes: "Primarily it is clear that on account of the property of homogeneity which we ascribe to time and space, the equations must be linear." What has the homogeneity of space and time to do with the degree of the equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, suppose that the Lorentz transformation had a form such as [itex]x'=(x-7)^2[/itex]. Then there would be something special about the location x=7. But all that determines a Lorentz boost is the velocity v we choose, and there is no way that this choice of v would single out x=7 for special treatment. That would imply that x=7 was special not because of our choice of v but simply because x=7 had some special property of its own. This would violate the homogeneity of space.

I agree with you. But, after all x'=(x-7)2 is an equation in the second degree. I can single out x=7 as special through the equation x=x'-7 too, which is linear, and it violates the homogeneity of space.

Homogeneity means that the physics at one point in spacetime is the same as that at any other point. In particular, the length of an object should be independent of its position in an inertial frame. So the length measured by the observer ##O'## must not depend on the position of the object in the inertial frame of the observer ##O## either. This implies that the infinitesimal elements ##dx^{'\mu} = {\Lambda^\mu}_\nu dx^\nu,## where the ##{\Lambda^\mu}_\nu## are independent of the ##x^\mu##.

Integrating this expression leads to the Poincare transformations, which are indeed linear. This is not unusual, since in the modern viewpoint, we associate homogeneity with invariance under spacetime translations.

khil_phys said:
I agree with you. But, after all x'=(x-7)2 is an equation in the second degree. I can single out x=7 as special through the equation x=x'-7 too, which is linear, and it violates the homogeneity of space.

I would put it exactly the other way around. If x=x'-7 were *not* allowed, it would violate homogeneity.

x=x'-7 doesn't do anything special at x'=7. x'=7 just happens to be where it gives x=0 -- but nothing special happens at x=0.

Are you saying this because on differentiating the second degree equation with respect to time, we have x=7 as a root? On the other hand, differentiating the linear equation x'=x-7 would give us a constant velocity.

bcrowell said:
I would put it exactly the other way around. If x=x'-7 were *not* allowed, it would violate homogeneity.

x=x'-7 doesn't do anything special at x'=7. x'=7 just happens to be where it gives x=0 -- but nothing special happens at x=0.

I got it. Thanks a lot!

1. What is a linear equation?

A linear equation is an algebraic equation in which each term is either a constant or a product of a constant and a single variable. The highest exponent of the variable in a linear equation is 1.

2. How are linear equations used in science?

Linear equations are used in science to model and analyze relationships between variables. They are particularly useful in physics and engineering to describe the behavior of systems and make predictions.

3. What is homogeneity of space and time?

Homogeneity of space and time refers to the idea that the laws of physics and the properties of space and time are the same everywhere and at all times. This principle is a fundamental assumption in many scientific theories and models.

4. How does homogeneity of space and time relate to linear equations?

Homogeneity of space and time is closely related to the linear nature of many physical laws and equations. This principle allows for the use of linear equations to accurately model and predict the behavior of systems in different locations and at different times.

5. Are all physical systems homogeneous in space and time?

No, not all physical systems are perfectly homogeneous in space and time. Some systems may exhibit slight variations or non-linear behavior, which may require more complex equations to accurately model their behavior. However, the principle of homogeneity is still a useful approximation for many scientific applications.