Are Vectors x1, x2, and x3 Linearly Dependent?

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary: But the dimension is at most 2, and so the dimension must be 2.To make this clearer, what I'm saying is that the span of (x1,x2,x3) is the same as the span of (x1,x2), so the dimension of the span is the dimension of the span of (x1,x2). And the dimension of the span of (x1,x2) is 2. So the dimension of the span of (x1,x2,x3) is 2.In summary, the conversation discusses the linearity and dependence of three vectors, x1, x2, and x3, and determines that they are linearly dependent. The dimension
gtfitzpatrick
if x1=
(2)
(1)
(3)

x2=
(3)
(-1)
(4)

x3=
(2)
(6)
(4)

show x1,x2,x3 are linear dependent and x1 and x2 are linearly dependent

ok so i formed a 3x3 matrix
2 3 2
1-1 6
3 4 4
and got the determinant. which came to -56+42+12=0 which proves they are linearly dependent right?

for the second part i looked for 2 constants a and b so that a(x1)+b(x2)=0
this gives me 3 eqs. 2a+3b=0 ; a-b=0 ; 3a+4b=0 but this seems to give a=b=0? which can't be right?Cant figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, your work shows that x1, x2, and x3 are linearly dependent. However, do you understand why it is that the determinant of your matrix being zero implies that the vectors are linearly dependent?

With about the same amount of work as you did in calculating the determinant, you could have row-reduced the matrix, and from that reduced matrix you could have found that -4*x1 -2*x2 + x3 = 0. IOW, you could have shown a nontrivial solution for the equation c1*x1 + c2*x2 + c3*x3 = 0, which is how linear dependence is defined.

For the second part, x1 and x2 are NOT linearly dependent. They are linearly independent. Any two vectors will be linearly dependent if one of them is a scalar multiple of the other. x2 is clearly not a multiple of x1 (and vice versa), so the two are linearly independent.

first,thanks for the reply,appreciate it.

if i row reduce the matrix

i seem to get
1 -1 6
0 1 -2
0 0 0
but I'm not sure where you went from there, or do i multiply out by c1,c2,c3 first or do it now?

sorry what does iow mean?

Mark44 said:
With about the same amount of work as you did in calculating the determinant, you could have row-reduced the matrix, and from that reduced matrix you could have found that -4*x1 -2*x2 + x3 = 0.

should this be -4x1 -2x2 +6x3 = 0?

gtfitzpatrick said:
sorry what does iow mean?
In other words...

gtfitzpatrick said:
first,thanks for the reply,appreciate it.

if i row reduce the matrix

i seem to get
1 -1 6
0 1 -2
0 0 0
but I'm not sure where you went from there, or do i multiply out by c1,c2,c3 first or do it now?
I took it one more step and got
1 0 4
0 1 -2
0 0 0

This means that c1 = -4c3, c2 = 2c3, and c3 = c3 (i.e., c3 is arbitrary)

If you set c3 =1, an obvious choice, you get c1 = -4, c2 = 2, and c3 = 1.

A nontrivial solution to the equation c1*x1 + c2*x2 + c3*x3 = 0 is
-4*x1 + 2*x2 + x3 = 0 (I omitted the sign on the first coefficient in my earlier post.)

got you.

i then did the same for the second part just to prove it i rowreduced the matrix and got

1 -1
0 1
0 1

which gives c2=0 and c1=c2=0 -vectors are linearly independent.

then,
what is the dimension of span (x1,x2,x3)?

from part 1 where i have shown (x1,x2,x3) are linearly dependent does it then not follow that the dimension is 1?

or since (x1,x2) are a linearly independent subset does this contradict this?

another bit to this is-what is the dimension of span (x1,x2,x3)?

from part 1 where i have shown (x1,x2,x3) are linearly dependent does it then not follow that the dimension is 1?

or since (x1,x2) are a linearly independent subset does this contradict this?

The dimension of the span of (x1,x2,x3) is going to be the size of a basis of this. The three vectors are linearly dependent, so you know the dimension is going to be less than 3, since every element in the span can be written as a linear combination of x1, x2 and x3, and by linear independence you can write every element in the span as a linear combination of just x1 and x2 say. x1 and x2 are linearly independent, and you should know that any linearly independent set is smaller to or has the same number of elements as the dimension of the vector space. So the dimension has to be at least 2

FAQ: Are Vectors x1, x2, and x3 Linearly Dependent?

1. What is linear (in)dependence?

Linear (in)dependence refers to the relationship between two or more variables in a mathematical or scientific equation. It describes whether one variable can be predicted or determined by the other variables in the equation.

2. How is linear (in)dependence determined?

Linear (in)dependence is determined by using various methods such as calculating correlation coefficients, performing regression analysis, or using graphical analysis. These methods help determine the strength and direction of the relationship between variables.

3. What is the difference between linear dependence and linear independence?

Linear dependence means that two or more variables have a predictable relationship, while linear independence means that there is no predictable relationship between the variables. In other words, if two variables are linearly dependent, one can be expressed in terms of the other, whereas if they are linearly independent, this is not possible.

4. Why is linear (in)dependence important in scientific research?

Linear (in)dependence is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand and describe the relationship between variables. This information can be used to make predictions, create models, and draw conclusions about the data being studied.

5. Can two variables be both linearly dependent and independent?

No, two variables cannot be both linearly dependent and independent. They are mutually exclusive concepts. However, it is possible for two variables to have a partial linear dependence, meaning that there is a relationship between them, but it is not a perfect or complete relationship.

Back