Linear Independence and Proving Linear Dependence of Vector Sets

In summary, linear independence refers to a set of vectors that cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, all coefficients in the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0 must be equal to 0. This concept is important in linear algebra as it helps us understand vector spaces and solve systems of linear equations. Additionally, a set of vectors cannot be both linearly independent and linearly dependent. Lastly, linear independence is related to the span of a set of vectors, as the span will be equal to the number of vectors in the set if they are linearly independent, and less than the number of vectors if they are dependent
eyehategod
I have a final tomorrow. Can anyone guide my through this proof?
I know i have to wirite the set of vectors as a linear combo, but what can I do nect?

Prove that any set of vectors containing the zero vector is linearly dependent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Make the constant in front of the zero vector non-zero and let all of the others be zero. Of course.

Related to Linear Independence and Proving Linear Dependence of Vector Sets

What is the definition of linear independence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be written as a linear combination of each other. In other words, no vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

How can you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if and only if the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0 is when all the coefficients c1, c2, ..., cn are equal to 0. This means that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others.

What is the significance of linear independence in linear algebra?

Linear independence is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to understand the structure and behavior of vector spaces. It also helps us to solve systems of linear equations and to determine the dimension of a vector space.

Can a set of vectors be both linearly independent and linearly dependent?

No, a set of vectors cannot be both linearly independent and linearly dependent. They are mutually exclusive concepts. A set of vectors can only be either linearly independent or linearly dependent.

How does linear independence relate to the span of a set of vectors?

If a set of vectors is linearly independent, then the span of those vectors will be equal to the number of vectors in the set. On the other hand, if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, then the span of those vectors will be less than the number of vectors in the set.