Linear Map Problem: Proving Equivalence of a & b

In summary, we need to prove that $\mbox{Im }T\cap \ker T=\{0\}$ is equivalent to the statement $T^2(v)=0\Rightarrow T(v)=0, \forall v\in V$. To do so, we use the fact that $x\in\mbox{Im }T\cap \ker T$ if and only if $T(x)=0$ and $x=T(w)$ for some $w\in V$.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
I quote an unsolved problem from MHF (Linear map problem) posted by user jdm900712

et V be a vector space over the field F. and T
png.latex
L(V, V) be a linear map.

Show that the following are equivalent:
a) I am T
png.latex
Ker T = {0}
b) If T^2(v) = 0 -> T(v) = 0, v
png.latex
V
Using p -> (q -> r) <-> (p
png.latex
q) ->r
I suppose I am T
png.latex
Ker T = {0} and T
png.latex
(v) = 0.
then I know that T(v)
png.latex
Ker T and T(v)
png.latex
I am T
so T(v) = 0.
I need help on how to prove the other direction.
http://mathhelpforum.com/advanced-algebra/212908-linear-map-problem.html

Physics news on Phys.org
We have to prove $\mbox{Im }T\cap \ker T=\{0\}\Leftrightarrow (T^2(v)=0\Rightarrow T(v)=0)$

$\Rightarrow)$ Suppose $T^2(v)=0$, then $T(T(v))=0$. But $T(v)\in \mbox{Im }T$ (by definition of image) and $T(v)\in \ker T$. By hypothesis, $T(v)=0$.

$\Leftarrow)$ Suppose $x\in\mbox{Im }T\cap \ker T$ then, $x\in\mbox{Im }T$ and $x\in \ker T$, that is $x$ has de form $x=T(w)$ and $T(x)=0$. This implies $T(x)=T^2(w)=0$. By hypothesis $T(w)=x=0$, so $\mbox{Im }T\cap \ker T=\{0\}$.

1. What is a linear map?

A linear map, also known as a linear transformation, is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the linear structure of the original space. In other words, it takes in a vector and outputs a new vector that is a linear combination of the original vector's components.

2. How do you prove the equivalence of two linear maps?

To prove the equivalence of two linear maps, one must show that they have the same domain, the same codomain, and that they preserve vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that for any two vectors in the domain and any scalar, the output of the linear maps must be the same.

3. What is the significance of proving equivalence of linear maps?

The significance of proving equivalence of linear maps lies in its applications in various fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to establish connections between different vector spaces and to study the properties and behaviors of objects through their linear representations.

4. How is the equivalence of linear maps used in real-life situations?

The concept of equivalence of linear maps is used in real-life situations such as image and signal processing, where it is used to transform data from one format to another while preserving its essential features. It is also used in machine learning and data science to analyze and classify data based on its linear characteristics.

5. Are there different methods to prove the equivalence of linear maps?

Yes, there are different methods to prove the equivalence of linear maps such as the matrix method, the composition method, and the kernel method. Each method has its advantages and may be more suitable for certain types of linear maps. It is important to have a thorough understanding of each method to choose the most appropriate one for a given problem.