Solving Linear Motion Problems: Initial Speed, Time, and Height

It will give you the right answer.In summary, when solving for the height and time of a ball thrown straight up with an initial speed of 30m/s, you should use the equation h=ut+1/2gt^2. Initial speed should not be used as u in this equation as it involves velocities, not speeds. When determining which equations to use, pay attention to the direction of the force (in this case, gravity) and the values given in the problem.
MooPhysics

Homework Statement

"A ball thrown straight up with an initial speed of 30/m/s.
(a) Show the time it takes to reach its trajectory will be 3m/s
(b) Show that it will reach a height of 45m"

Homework Equations

h=ut+1/2g^2
1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a of the question I am fine with.
Its part (b) that seems to be what got me confused. I felt the need to use the equation "h=ut+1/2g^2" due to thinking that: u=30? Initial speed in this case is 30m/s. Why can't I use it in the equation? When and what type of questions would I use h=ut+1/2g^2??
I know that to work this question out, I will need to use "1/2gt^2" I just don't understand why initial speed (u) won't be 30m/s.

Also questions related to physics. How do you know when to work out -in relation to velocity or acceleration? I know the difference between the two, yet seem to get confused in exams/tests between them both? Is there a trick into isolating the questions into what they are asking rather than me assuming what they are asking?

Physics news on Phys.org
The initial speed is ##30m/s##. But, these equations involve velocities, not speeds. So, you need to get the right sign +/- for your velocity and acceleration.

Hint: The ball is thrown up but gravity is a downward force.

PeroK said:
The initial speed is ##30m/s##. But, these equations involve velocities, not speeds. So, you need to get the right sign +/- for your velocity and acceleration.

Hint: The ball is thrown up but gravity is a downward force.
I used 1/2gt^2, Since knowing that time is 3 seconds I worked it out as: 1/2x10x3^2=45m.
I used a positive gravity (10-rounded up 9.81 for a solid number), and used 3seconds due to it being half the total time, and therefore the time it would have taken to reach maximum height. Is this line of thinking correct? In what case can I expect to use the equation- h=ut+1/2g^2 ??

MooPhysics said:
I used 1/2gt^2, Since knowing that time is 3 seconds I worked it out as: 1/2x10x3^2=45m.
I used a positive gravity (10-rounded up 9.81 for a solid number), and used 3seconds due to it being half the total time, and therefore the time it would have taken to reach maximum height. Is this line of thinking correct?In what case can I expect to use the equation- h=ut+1/2g^2 ??

In this case you got the right answer by accident! You should use that last formula in this case.

1. What is linear motion and how is it different from other types of motion?

Linear motion is a type of motion where an object moves in a straight line. This is different from other types of motion, such as circular or projectile motion, where the object follows a curved path.

2. How do I calculate the initial speed of an object in linear motion?

The initial speed of an object in linear motion can be calculated using the formula: initial speed = final speed - acceleration * time. This formula assumes that there is constant acceleration throughout the motion.

3. Can the time taken for an object to reach a certain height be calculated in linear motion?

Yes, the time taken for an object to reach a certain height can be calculated using the formula: time = square root of (2 * height / acceleration). This formula also assumes constant acceleration.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the initial speed, time, and height of an object in linear motion?

The angle of launch can affect the initial speed, time, and height of an object in linear motion. A higher angle of launch will result in a higher initial speed and shorter time taken to reach a certain height. However, the maximum height reached by the object will be lower compared to a lower angle of launch.

5. Can linear motion problems be solved using other types of equations or formulas?

Yes, linear motion problems can also be solved using other equations or formulas, such as the equation of motion s = ut + 1/2 * a * t^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial speed, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. It is important to choose the appropriate formula based on the given information in the problem.