Linear ode with variable coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem of the form p''(x) - 2(1-3x^2)p'(x) = 0 and how it can be solved using an integrating factor. The integrating factor is e^(2x(x^2 - 1)) and the solution for p(x) is given as p(x) = p(x_0) + p'(x_0)e^(2(x_0^3-x_0))∫(x_0 to x)e^(2(ξ-ξ^3))dξ. However, it is noted that this integral cannot be solved in a closed form.
leinadrc
Does anyone have any guidance on how to solve a problem of thes form

p''(x) - 2(1-3x^2)p'(x) = 0

It looks very similar to a characteristic equation, but the coefficients aren't constant

Physics news on Phys.org
Sort of, let q(x) = p'(x) so that q'(x) = p''(x). The "new" equation is

q'(x) - 2(1 - 3x^2)q(x) = 0,

which can be solved with an integrating factor.

In this case, the integrating factor is e^(2x(x^2 - 1)).

e^(2x(x^2 - 1))q'(x) + e^(2x(x^2 - 1))(-2)(1 - 3x^2)q(x) = 0
d/dx( e^(2x(x^2 - 1)) * q(x) ) = 0
e^(2x(x^2 - 1)) * q(x) = C
q(x) = Ce^(-2x(x^2 - 1))

So p'(x) = Ce^(-2x(x^2 - 1)). But that function doesn't seem to have a "nice" antiderivative, so I don't know how to continue.

so what?? do you need an explicit solution?? you have it

[tex]p(x)=p(x_0)+p'(x_0)e^{2(x_0^3-x_0)}\int_{x_0}^{x}e^{2(\xi-\xi^3)}d\xi[/tex]

you may have a polinomial solution using Frobenius method, but youll get the same thing (as expected).

Last edited:
I did do that and I did get p'(x)=c exp(2*(x-x^3)) also...yeah I do need an explicit solution...and this is also where I got stuck because I couldn't see how to solve for p explicitly

it is solved explicitly, you have the expresion right there...

the integral above can't be solved in a closed form, but it is as explicit as a trig function

1. What is a linear ODE with variable coefficient?

A linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) with variable coefficient is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable appears in the equation with a coefficient that is not a constant. This means that the coefficient can vary based on the value of the dependent variable, making the equation more complex to solve.

2. How is a linear ODE with variable coefficient different from a regular linear ODE?

In a regular linear ODE, the coefficients are all constants, meaning they do not change with the value of the dependent variable. In a linear ODE with variable coefficient, the coefficients can vary, making the equation more difficult to solve and often requiring more advanced techniques.

3. What are some real-life applications of linear ODEs with variable coefficient?

Linear ODEs with variable coefficient are commonly used to model physical systems in which the coefficients vary based on certain conditions. Some examples include heat transfer, population growth, and chemical reactions. These equations are also used in engineering and economics to model changing systems.

4. How do you solve a linear ODE with variable coefficient?

Solving a linear ODE with variable coefficient is a more complex process compared to solving a regular linear ODE. It often requires advanced mathematical techniques such as power series, Laplace transforms, or numerical methods. In some cases, exact solutions may not be possible and approximations must be used.

5. What are the challenges of dealing with linear ODEs with variable coefficient?

The main challenge in dealing with linear ODEs with variable coefficient is that they are more difficult to solve compared to regular linear ODEs. This is because the coefficients can change, making it harder to find a general solution. Additionally, they may require advanced techniques and can also be very sensitive to initial conditions, meaning small changes in the coefficients or initial values can greatly affect the solution.