Linear Programming Constraints

In summary, the speaker is trying to minimize a function over a complicated surface using an algorithm that involves an initial guess, finding the tangent plane, and minimizing using a linear programming algorithm. They are having difficulty setting up constraints because their surface is parameterized as a matrix rather than a vector. They are unsure how to handle this and whether to vectorize or break it into real and imaginary parts. However, the speaker notes that the structure of the surface may play a role in the optimization process.
Kreizhn
I'm trying to minimize a function over a rather complicated surface. I'm using an algorithm that takes an initial guess, finds the tangent plane at that point, minimizes using a linear programming algorithm, then (tries to) project back onto the complicated surface.

More specifically, if [itex] \xi [/itex] is a vector and [itex] H(\xi) [/itex] is the surface, I want to solve the linear programming problem
[tex] \min c^T \xi, \quad \text{subject to } \nabla H(\xi) (\xi - \bar \xi) = 0 [/tex]
Now my problem is that I'm having trouble setting up the constraints. This wouldn't normally be difficult, except that my surface is parameterized as
[tex] H(\xi) = X_f(\xi) - X_d [/tex]
where [itex] X_f, X_d [/itex] are matrices.

Normally in these cases [itex] H(\xi) [/itex] is at worst vector-valued and so [itex] \frac{\partial H}{\partial \xi_j} [/itex] is a vector so that [itex] \nabla H(\xi) [/itex] is a matrix. However in this case [itex] \frac{\partial H}{\partial \xi_j} [/itex] is itself a matrix.

How do I handle this? Do I ``vectorize'' [itex] \frac{\partial H}{\partial \xi_j} [/itex]? Do I break it into real and imaginary parts then vectorize? I'm not sure how to handle this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If your surface consists of vectors or points shouldn't play a role. In the context they are points, however they look like. The condition is meant to constrain the set of all points, regardless its structure. The structure might play a role in the optimization process as it contains additional information which might be useful, e.g. the shape of the boundaries where the optimal solution is likely to be found.

What is the definition of Linear Programming Constraints?

Linear programming constraints are conditions or limitations that must be satisfied in order for a linear programming problem to be considered feasible. These constraints can be in the form of equations or inequalities that restrict the values of the decision variables.

What are the types of Linear Programming Constraints?

There are three types of linear programming constraints: equality constraints, inequality constraints, and non-negativity constraints. Equality constraints are equations that must be satisfied, inequality constraints are inequalities that must hold, and non-negativity constraints require that the decision variables cannot have negative values.

What is the role of Constraints in Linear Programming?

The constraints in linear programming play a crucial role in determining the feasible region, which is the set of all possible solutions to the problem. The feasible region is then used to identify the optimal solution, which is the point that maximizes or minimizes the objective function while satisfying all of the constraints.

What happens if Linear Programming Constraints are violated?

If the constraints in a linear programming problem are violated, then the solution is considered infeasible and cannot be used. This means that the solution does not satisfy all of the constraints and cannot be considered as a valid solution to the problem.

How do you represent Linear Programming Constraints graphically?

Linear programming constraints can be represented graphically by plotting the constraints on a coordinate plane. Each constraint is represented by a line, and the feasible region is the area where all of the lines intersect. The optimal solution can then be found at the point where the objective function is maximized or minimized within the feasible region.