1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Programming Constraints

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    I'm trying to minimize a function over a rather complicated surface. I'm using an algorithm that takes an initial guess, finds the tangent plane at that point, minimizes using a linear programming algorithm, then (tries to) project back onto the complicated surface.

More specifically, if [itex] \xi [/itex] is a vector and [itex] H(\xi) [/itex] is the surface, I want to solve the linear programming problem
    [tex] \min c^T \xi, \quad \text{subject to } \nabla H(\xi) (\xi - \bar \xi) = 0 [/tex]
    Now my problem is that I'm having trouble setting up the constraints. This wouldn't normally be difficult, except that my surface is parameterized as
    [tex] H(\xi) = X_f(\xi) - X_d [/tex]
    where [itex] X_f, X_d [/itex] are matrices.

Normally in these cases [itex] H(\xi) [/itex] is at worst vector-valued and so [itex] \frac{\partial H}{\partial \xi_j} [/itex] is a vector so that [itex] \nabla H(\xi) [/itex] is a matrix. However in this case [itex] \frac{\partial H}{\partial \xi_j} [/itex] is itself a matrix.

How do I handle this? Do I ``vectorize'' [itex] \frac{\partial H}{\partial \xi_j} [/itex]? Do I break it into real and imaginary parts then vectorize? I'm not sure how to handle this.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted