Linear Regulator Circuit: Understand +Vcc, V_load, T1/T2, V_out & R1

In summary: The current mirror will maintain the 1mA output current even when Vcc varies by 2:1, because the transistors are unable to dissipate as much heat as a resistor. However, if Vcc were to vary by a much greater amount, then the current through the transistors would be too high and could potentially damage them.
foobag
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/2721/capturehoq.png

I am having a bit of trouble understanding this circuit. My textbook is pretty vague on the topic of three terminal voltage regulators, really only emphasizing on the LM317. For this circuit, is it necessary to know +Vcc , or V_load?

Furthermore, are T1 &T2 transistors behaving as a p-n-p current mirror?

I understand the Zener diode as acting as the reference input for the op-amp. However I am unable to understand how to calculate V_out and how R1 plays a role here.

Any insight would be deeply appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The main loop will force the Vout node to the same voltage as the ZD voltage, because of the gain of the opamp, right?

Then you are right, T5-->T4 is a current mirror, and T1-->T2 is a 2nd mirror for that current. The T5 current is determined by the Vout and R1 (notice how the input to the mirror ends up looking just like a diode to ground below R1...?

But at first glance, I can see at least one reason why they are using this double-mirror to source current into the ZD, instead of just using a resistor. Can you think of what advantage(s) there might be to using this double current mirror instead of just a resistor to the ZD from Vcc?

And a Quiz Question -- What can you add to the current mirrors to make them much better (more accurate) mirrors?

berkeman said:
The main loop will force the Vout node to the same voltage as the ZD voltage, because of the gain of the opamp, right?

Then you are right, T5-->T4 is a current mirror, and T1-->T2 is a 2nd mirror for that current. The T5 current is determined by the Vout and R1 (notice how the input to the mirror ends up looking just like a diode to ground below R1...?

But at first glance, I can see at least one reason why they are using this double-mirror to source current into the ZD, instead of just using a resistor. Can you think of what advantage(s) there might be to using this double current mirror instead of just a resistor to the ZD from Vcc?

Ok that does make sense, so Vout would be the ZD voltage of 5volts. With the 2 current mirrors, its better to use over a resistor since they do not dissipate as much heat, also have high impedance and are generally small and cheap.

so does this mean R1 = Vout / I(T5), where current of T5 is influenced by the ZD current of 1mA?

So R1 = 5V/1mA = 5 kiloohm?

berkeman said:
And a Quiz Question -- What can you add to the current mirrors to make them much better (more accurate) mirrors?

i am not entirely sure to the answer to this question

foobag said:
Ok that does make sense, so Vout would be the ZD voltage of 5volts. With the 2 current mirrors, its better to use over a resistor since they do not dissipate as much heat, also have high impedance and are generally small and cheap.

so does this mean R1 = Vout / I(T5), where current of T5 is influenced by the ZD current of 1mA?

So R1 = 5V/1mA = 5 kiloohm?

You are getting close...

First, the voltage across R1 is less than 5V (but not by a lot). Why?

And you are setting the desired current of 1mA for the ZD. Maybe that's what you meant anyway.

BTW, even if you don't want to answer my Quiz Question about improving the mirrors, you should definitely try to figure out why they are using the double current mirror for setting the ZD current, instead of just a resistor from Vcc. That's a key part of this circuit.

is the voltage across R1 less than 5volts because of the ZD voltage drop of 0.7 volts?

so they are using current mirrors here instead of resistors to produce a constant steady current with extremely high impedance, and no affect on loading? is this why they have implemented the transistors in favor of resistors?

foobag said:
is the voltage across R1 less than 5volts because of the ZD voltage drop of 0.7 volts?

Yes, good.

so they are using current mirrors here instead of resistors to produce a constant steady current with extremely high impedance, and no affect on loading? is this why they have implemented the transistors in favor of resistors?

It's not so much a loading issue. You're going to load Vcc with about 1mA either way (current mirror source for I(ZD) or resistor source for I(ZD).

Hint -- what happens with the resistor source option for I(ZD) when Vcc varies? They haven't given you a spec for Vcc in the problem, have they? What if it varies by 2:1 worst case?

ah so if Vcc varies a lot, than the current I(ZD) through the resistor source won't be as steady as using the current mirror source for I(ZD), basically because of Ohm's Law (R = V/I)?

the extra info they gave about the T4&T5 having Vbe (base-emitter) as 0.7Volts and beta >100, do they have any influence on the calculations, or just standard values?

foobag said:
ah so if Vcc varies a lot, than the current I(ZD) through the resistor source won't be as steady as using the current mirror source for I(ZD), basically because of Ohm's Law (R = V/I)?

the extra info they gave about the T4&T5 having Vbe (base-emitter) as 0.7Volts and beta >100, do they have any influence on the calculations, or just standard values?

Good. And no, if they are assuming ideal (and ideally matched) transistors, then the gain and Vbe don't mean much for the mirror. BUT, with real transistors, high gain is useful, and the matching of the Vbes within the mirror is important. That's what I was getting to with my Quiz Question. There is a simple improvement to the basic current mirror circuit you were given, which helps a lot in improving the mirror action in the face of slightly different Vbes, which you get in the real world.

Just for fun :biggrin: you might try Google Images or just a search at wikipedia.org, to see what the modification is, and to understand why it helps.

1. What is a linear regulator circuit?

A linear regulator circuit is an electronic circuit that is used to regulate the output voltage of a power supply. It uses a series pass element, such as a transistor, to vary the resistance of the circuit and maintain a constant output voltage, even when the input voltage or load changes.

2. What is the purpose of +Vcc and V_load in a linear regulator circuit?

+Vcc refers to the positive supply voltage, while V_load refers to the voltage across the load. These values are important in a linear regulator circuit as they determine the input and output voltages of the circuit, respectively.

3. What are T1 and T2 in a linear regulator circuit?

T1 and T2 refer to the transistors used in a linear regulator circuit. T1 is typically a pass transistor, while T2 is used as a reference element to compare the output voltage to a fixed reference voltage.

4. How is the output voltage (V_out) of a linear regulator circuit determined?

The output voltage of a linear regulator circuit is determined by the ratio of the resistance of R1 (connected between the output and T2) to the resistance of the load (connected between the output and ground). This ratio is known as the voltage divider ratio and can be calculated using the formula V_out = V_ref x (1 + R1/R_load).

5. How does changing the value of R1 affect the output voltage in a linear regulator circuit?

Changing the value of R1 in a linear regulator circuit will affect the output voltage by changing the voltage divider ratio. When R1 increases, the output voltage decreases, and vice versa. This allows for the output voltage to be adjusted and regulated to a desired level by changing the value of R1.

Back