Linear transformations as tensor.

In summary, a (1,1) tensor is a linear transformation because it takes a vector and a one-form to a scalar, which is the same as a linear map from a vector to a vector. This is because bilinear forms, which are the tensor product of two one-forms, can be expressed as linear maps from a vector to a linear map from a co-vector to a scalar. In finite dimensional spaces, this is equivalent to a linear map from a vector to a vector. Therefore, a (1,1) tensor is a linear transformation.
The1337gamer
I was looking at this table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor#Examples

And i didn't understand why a (1,1) tensor is a linear transformation, I was wondering if someone could explain why this is.

A (1,1) tensor takes a vector and a one-form to a scalar.
But a linear transformation takes a vector to a vector.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
A bilinear form can take a vector to a vector or a covector to a covector:

Auvζv = γu
Auvωu = κv

I thought a bilinear form was the tensor product of 2 one-forms/linear functionals, so it would take two vectors to a scalar.

The1337gamer said:
I was looking at this table here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor#Examples

And i didn't understand why a (1,1) tensor is a linear transformation, I was wondering if someone could explain why this is.

A (1,1) tensor takes a vector and a one-form to a scalar.
But a linear transformation takes a vector to a vector.

Thanks.

If your form is T(u,v) where u is a vector and v is a co-vector, consider the function f(u)=T(u,-). f(u) is a function which, when you plug in a co-vector you get a scalar. Those are exactly what vectors are (co-co vectors)

Assume all spaces are finite diml.

by plugging into one variable at a time, you see that bilinear maps from VxW to U is the same as linear maps from V to linear maps from W to U.

I.e. Bil(VxW,U) ≈ Lin(V,Lin(W,U)).

Write V* for linear maps from V to k, where k is the scalar field.
For finite diml spaces then Lin(Lin(V,k),k) = V** ≈ V.

essentially by definition of tensors, V*tensorW* ≈ (VtensorW)* ≈ Bil(VxW,k).

Thus V*tensorW ≈ Bil(VxW*,k) ≈ Lin(V,W**) ≈ Lin(V,W).

I.e. if ftensorw is an elementary (1,1) tensor in V*tensW,

then it maps the vector v in V to the vector

f(v).w in W. A general (1,1) tensor is a sum of such elementary ones and maps v to the corresponding sum of vectors in W.

1. What is the definition of a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that maps a vector space into another vector space while preserving the structure of the original space. This means that the transformation preserves both vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do linear transformations relate to tensor?

Linear transformations can be thought of as special cases of tensor operations. In fact, a linear transformation can be represented as a first-order tensor, or a vector, in some cases.

3. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a tensor transformation?

A linear transformation is a specific type of transformation that follows certain rules, while a tensor transformation is a more general operation that can be applied to multiple types of mathematical objects. Additionally, a tensor transformation can involve multiple dimensions and higher-order tensors, while a linear transformation only involves a single dimension.

4. How are linear transformations and tensors used in real-world applications?

Linear transformations and tensors are used in a variety of scientific and engineering fields, such as physics, computer graphics, and machine learning. They are important for representing and manipulating data in a way that is efficient and preserves important relationships between variables.

5. Can linear transformations be represented by matrices?

Yes, in most cases, linear transformations can be represented by matrices. This is because linear transformations are defined by a set of linear equations, which can be written in matrix form. However, not all matrices represent linear transformations, as they must follow certain rules and properties to be considered linear.