1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformations matrix help

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two questions;

1. Let v1 = [-3, -4] and v2 = [-2, -3]

Let T: R^2 -> R^2 be the linear transformation satisfying T(v1) = [29, -35] and T(v2) = [22, -26]

Find the image of the arbitrary vector [x, y]

T[x,y] = [ _ , _ ]

2. The cross product of two vectors in R^3 is defined by [a1,a2,a3] x [b1,b2,b3] = [a2b3-a3b2, a3b1-a1b3, a1b2-a2b1]

Let v = [2,6,-4]

Find the matrix A of the linear transformation from R^3 to R^3 given by T(x) = v x x.

A = ? (3x3 matrix)

3. The attempt at a solution

For question 1, I found a T[x,y] but it's a 2x2 matrix [{-197, -8/7},{135,8/7}], but maybe i'm understanding the question wrong?

And for question 2, I really have no idea where to start. Wouldn't I need to be provided with a matrix x if were to find T(x) = v x x? Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are confusing the representation of the transformation as a matrix with its result as an operator. The domain and range of the operator in 1 is R2. I didn't check your calculations in 1, but if the transformation is represented by the matrix you say it is, you should be able to calculate T([x,y]), which should be in R2.

You got the matrix in part 1 by knowing what T did to a couple of points in R2. Do the same thing for part 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook