1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Transformations (or lack thereof)

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be the set of complex numbers regarded as a vector space over the real numbers R. Find a linear transformation T: V → V which is not complex linear (i.e. not a linear transformation if V is regarded as a vector space over the complex numbers).

2. Relevant equations

V=R(i)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a solution. What I need is a better explanation of what complex linear means. Or perhaps a rewording of the problem statement so I might have a better understanding of why my solution is a solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi nateHI! :smile:
    f is linear if f(λa + µb) = λf(a) + µf(b) for all scalars λ and µ

so what happens eg if λ = i ? :wink:

4. Feb 12, 2014 #3

maajdl

Gold Member

"... regarded as a vector space over the real numbers R"

What does that mean?

5. Feb 12, 2014 #4
    I think they mean z = u +iv with (u,v) in RxR.

6. Feb 12, 2014 #5

pasmith

Homework Helper

The complex numbers are a 1-dimensional vector space over themselves, so a complex-linear map [itex]\mathbb{C} \to \mathbb{C}[/itex] is a map of the form [itex]z \mapsto az[/itex] for some [itex]a \in \mathbb{C}[/itex], ie. multiplication by a constant.

The map which takes [itex]z = x + iy[/itex] to its complex conjugate [itex]z^{*} = x - iy[/itex] is not of that form (there is no [itex]a \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] such that [itex]z^{*} = az[/itex] for all [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex]), and so is not complex linear. But it is real linear (it's just [itex](x,y) \mapsto (x, -y)[/itex]).

Therefore the map which takes [itex]z[/itex] to its real part [itex]\frac12 (z + z^{*})[/itex] is not complex linear either.

7. Feb 12, 2014 #6
    No not true, take z = i then z* = -i, take a =-1 and you got it.

8. Feb 12, 2014 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

Your [itex]a[/itex] must work FOR ALL [itex]z \in \mathbb{C}[/itex]! Finding an [itex]a[/itex] which works for one [itex]z[/itex] is irrelevant!

9. Feb 12, 2014 #8
    You're right my bad.

10. Feb 13, 2014 #9
    OK, I get it now. Thanks pasmith and everyone else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted