Linear transformations + writing of output matrix

In summary: But if you have any other vector in the form of a parabolic equation, the standard basis doesn't quite work.
JamesGoh

Homework Statement

Given the following defined transformation

[itex]T(a + bt+ct^{2}) = (a+c) - (c+b)t + (a+b+c)t^{2} [/itex]

find the matrix with respect to the standard basis

From my understanding, the standard basis for a 3 element vector would
be

[itex](0,0,1)^{T} (0,1,0)^{T} (1,0,0)^{T}[/itex]

Homework Equations

T(u+v)= T(u) + T(v)

λT(v) = T(λv)

The Attempt at a Solution

okay, if I used the defined transformation, I get the following when I put any of the standard basis into the transformation

[itex]T(0,0,1)^{T}=1 - t + t^{2}

T(0,1,0)^{T} = 0 -t + t^{2}

T(1,0,0)^{T} = 1 - 0 + t^{2}

[/itex]

If I am correct, the matrix should be the following

1 -1 1
0 -1 1
1 0 1

However, the tutorial answers have it in the form

1 0 1

-1 -1 0

1 1 1

Shouldn't my answer be correct, since the [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]t^{2}[/itex] terms are different parts of a linear equation which is why they can't be in the same column ?

Physics news on Phys.org
T(x) = A.x

where
x = [c b a]^T
A is the transformation matrix

The way you have put your A matrix, we would need to do following
T(p) = p.A
p = [c b a]

evidently, the "standard basis" being referred to is {1,t,t2}.

that is: a+bt+ct2<---> (a,b,c)

(1,0,0) <--> 1
(0,1,0) <--> t
(0,0,1) <--> t2

with respect to a given basis, B = {v1,...,vn}, the matrix of a linear transformation T:V-->V, [T]B, is the matrix such that:

[T]B[vj]B = [T(vj)]B,

where the multiplication on the left is an nxn matrix multiplied by an nx1 matrix.

of course, [vj]B = [0,0,...1,...,0]B, where the 1 is in the j-th place, which then gives us the j-th column of [T]B.

Deveno said:
evidently, the "standard basis" being referred to is {1,t,t2}.

Does this case of "standard basis" only apply for any 3-element vector input written in the form of a parabolic equation ?

Yes. Your "standard basis", <1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0>, and <0, 0, 1>, would be correct for [itex]R^3[/itex]. Of course, the assignment <1, 0, 0>->1, <0, 1, 0>->t, <0, 0, 1>->[itex]t^2[/itex] maps one to the other.

1. What are linear transformations?

Linear transformations are mathematical operations that involve changing the position, orientation, or size of a geometric figure in a linear manner. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used extensively in many areas of science and engineering.

2. How are linear transformations represented?

Linear transformations can be represented using matrix multiplication. A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers that can be multiplied with a vector to produce a new vector that represents the transformed figure.

3. What is the purpose of writing an output matrix for a linear transformation?

The output matrix for a linear transformation is used to represent the transformation in a concise and efficient manner. It allows for easy computation of the transformed vectors and helps in visualizing the effect of the transformation on the original figure.

4. What are the key properties of a linear transformation?

A linear transformation must preserve the properties of linearity, which include preserving the origin, preserving parallel lines, and scaling and addition of vectors. It also must be a one-to-one mapping, meaning that each input vector has a unique output vector.

5. How are linear transformations applied in real-world applications?

Linear transformations have numerous real-world applications, such as in computer graphics, image processing, and data analysis. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and solve complex problems involving linear relationships.