Linearity of momentum operator

In summary, according to the discussion, the momentum operator is linear because the derivative operator is linear. The derivative operator is linear because addition is linear. Anti-linear transformations are discrete, and cannot be continuous with the identity transformation.
nughret
Is there a theory or any physical reasoning for the momentum operator being a linear, rather than an antilinear, operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the basics correctly, all operators in quantum mechanics are linear. Not quite sure why, though.

I guess that raises more questions than answers, though.

The momentum operator is linear because the derivative operator is linear. The derivative operator is linear because addition is linear :smile:.

An antilinear derivative operator will respect addition.
In other words let's say the differential operator, D, obeys:

D(f + g) = D(f) + D(g),
D(cf) = cD(f), where c is a constant

I define a differential operator B, and B obeys,
B(f + g) = B(f) + B(g),
B(cf) = c*B(f), where c* denotes complex conjugate of c

My question is if there is a mathematical or physical reason why the operator P cannot be described by -iB.

The translation operator is [itex]e^{-ipr}[/itex] where p is the momentum operator and r the translation distance. The exponential is defined as a series, but the square of an anti-linear operator is linear, so the translation operator would be neither linear nor anti-linear. I think this might violate the theorem proved by Wigner that says that operators representing symmetry transformations must be either linear and unitary or anti-linear and anti-unitary, but I don't know if he proved that this must be the case, or just that it's possible to define the operators that way. (I think it's the latter actually).

Also note that if we require the function T defined by [itex]T(r)=e^{-ipr}[/itex] to be continuous, then T(r) can't be anti-unitary for any r since it's unitary for r=0.

If you want to know more, check out the appendix of chapter 2 of volume 1 of Weinberg's QFT book.

Thanks Fredrik I had a quick look at Weinberg's version of Wigner's proof but it was a bit a long! I like you argument on continuity but you have already exponentiated a linear operator and then setting it equal to an anti-linear operator will obviously lead to some difficulties. You must begin earlier, considering the infintesimal unitary operator, just for translations for simplicity, and then choosing the P's to be anti-linear rather than linear.
I have just began to look at this and so far it appears we get the constraint that the P's are antihermitian rather than hermitian but I will do some more work on this first.

The crucial point is that anti-linear transformations are discrete, since
they involve a complex conjugation operation. Therefore, such
transformations cannot be of the identity-connected type (i.e., they
cannot be continuous with the identity transformation). This is
similar to how a parity inversion is discrete, and not identity-connected.

Examples of anti-linear transformations are charge conjugation
and time-reversal for a Dirac particle (most RQM textbooks
discuss this).

The waters are muddied further, however, if you consider
transformations that mix the annihilation and creation
operators in QFT (since these implicit mix a field with
its complex-conjugated counterpart). Look up
"Bogoliubov transformations" (used in superconductivity
and elsewhere) for examples of this. A subtle point here
is that these transformations generally take you between
inequivalent Hilbert spaces -- which is why the Wigner
theorem mentioned by Fredrick may (superficially) seem
to be in contradiction with such things.

Its because we WANT operators to be linear, and that its meanigful. From the beginning starting from de Broglie and Schrödinger you describe a particle as a plane wave with [tex]k=p/\hbar, \omega=p/\hbar[/tex], and then you could easilly identify an operator that gives you p. Also Dirac made this wish of lineaity when he formulated the reativistic quantum mechanics.

1. What is the definition of linearity of momentum operator?

The linearity of momentum operator refers to its property of being able to distribute over addition and subtraction. This means that when the momentum operator acts on the sum or difference of two functions, it can be split into separate operators acting on each individual function.

2. How does the linearity of momentum operator relate to the superposition principle?

The linearity of momentum operator is closely related to the superposition principle, which states that the total momentum of a system can be calculated by adding the individual momenta of its components. This is possible because the momentum operator is linear, allowing it to act on each component separately and then add the results together.

3. Can the linearity of momentum operator be applied to non-linear functions?

No, the linearity of the momentum operator only applies to linear functions. Non-linear functions, such as exponential or trigonometric functions, do not follow the rules of linearity and therefore the momentum operator cannot be distributed over them.

4. Why is the linearity of momentum operator important in quantum mechanics?

The linearity of momentum operator is essential in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the total momentum of a system by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable components. This makes it easier to solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

5. Does the linearity of momentum operator hold true in all quantum mechanical systems?

Yes, the linearity of momentum operator is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics and applies to all quantum systems. This is because the momentum operator is derived from the basic principles of quantum mechanics and its linearity is a direct consequence of these principles.