Linearizing ordinary differential equations

In summary, the conversation is about linearizing a coupled non-linear ode and finding a proper reference for the state-space model of the jacobian matrix. The person is asking for help in understanding how the state-space model was obtained and if it is a fixed formulation. They apologize for their lack of knowledge on the topic and ask for assistance.
thavamaran
Hi guys, I am trying to linearize a coupled non-linear ode. I used partial derivative, and then jacobian matrix, i have seen paper using state-space model of jacobian matrix. I can't get a proper reference on this state-space model.

Attached is the non-linear ode, the partial derivative of the non-linear ode and the state-space model of jacobian matrix.

Can someone enhance or explain how they got the state-space model as the transformation, is it a fix formulation. Sorry for asking this way cause I can't find any books or reference referring or explaining this. Please help me! thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the attachment.

Attachments

• jacobian 1.JPG
    jacobian 1.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 472
  • jacobian 2.JPG
    jacobian 2.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 435

1. What is the purpose of linearizing ordinary differential equations?

The purpose of linearizing ordinary differential equations is to simplify complex nonlinear equations into simpler linear equations. This allows for easier analysis and solution of the equations.

2. How is linearization achieved?

Linearization is achieved by using a linear approximation of the nonlinear equation around a specific point. This involves taking the first derivative of the equation and setting it equal to the slope of the tangent line at the chosen point.

3. Can any ordinary differential equation be linearized?

No, not all ordinary differential equations can be linearized. Only equations that are in the form of a polynomial or have a linear approximation can be linearized.

4. What are the limitations of linearizing ordinary differential equations?

Linearization can only provide an approximation of the solution to a nonlinear equation. This means that the solution may not be completely accurate and may only be valid for a specific range of values.

5. What are the applications of linearizing ordinary differential equations?

Linearization is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems. It is also used in numerical methods for solving differential equations and in control systems design.