Linearly independent sets within repeated powers of a linear operator

In summary: We have wk = 0, which is the same as saying that wk = c1Tmu1 + ... + cpTmup, where c1, ..., cp are all 0. This is the case when the vectors are linearly dependent.
Fractal20

Homework Statement

Suppose that T:W -> W is a linear transformation such that Tm+1 = 0 but Tm ≠ 0. Suppose that {w1, ... , wp} is basis for Tm(W) and Tm(uk) = wk, for 1 ≤ k ≤ p. Prove that {Ti(uk) : 0 ≤ i ≤ m, 1 ≤ j ≤ p} is a linearly independent set.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

By definition of a basis w1, ..., wp are linearly independent. Now suppose Tm - 1(uk) is not linearly independent from the w's. Then it can be written as some sum of linear combinations of the w's which is equivalent to saying Tm-1(uk) = c1Tmu1 + ... + cpTmup. If both sides are left multiplied by T then we have Tm = the linear combination of Tm + 1 of the ui's which by definition are all 0. But then we have Tm(uk) = 0 = wk by definition but this is a contradiction since wk cannot be 0 if it is linearly independent of the other wi's.

From here, it seems like this same process can be applied backwards but I am not sure how it can be rigorously done in an elegant manner. I think I can use induction and say given that Tq(uk) is linearly independent from {Tr(uk): q + 1 ≤ r ≤ m, 1 ≤ k ≤ p} then Tq - 1(uk) is linearly independent for all k for if it wasn't then ... the same argument as the base case but applying repeated left multiples of T to keep creating 0 terms on the right eventually yielding the same contradiction of having wk = 0. This seems bulky and I am not confident it works. Also, I'm not use to using induction in a downwards trend and don't know if I would need to do an additional bottom base case for T1 specifically.

Is this weird attempt at induction valid? Do you have any more elegant approaches? Thanks!

For background, I am starting grad school in the fall and have to take a placement exam in linear algebra and vector calculus. This is a question off of one of the earlier placement exams.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Your idea is right. But it is really... well.. backwards :)

Say some Tiuk are linearly dependent. At least one of them has the minimal i. Does it give you any ideas?

Thanks! I think that helps nicely. I was a little unsure that I would need to account for the linear combination involving Tq terms for q < i. But I think I see now that if Tqui is linearly independent then if it's coefficient wasn't 0 then we could rearrange it to show that it was indeed linearly dependent. Is that true? If you have a set of vectors and know that some are linearly independent of all the rest, then the linear dependence of any of the vectors can't involve a linearly independent vector? Thanks so much, I am sure I will keep posting questions the next few weeks.

You have a linear combination, where some vectors will have a minimum i. Put them on the left side of the equation. The ones on the right will all correspond to higher degrees of the operator. Now apply the operator (m - i) times to the whole thing (that's your idea). What do you get?

The only case when that can't work is when all i = m. But what do we have in that case?

Related to Linearly independent sets within repeated powers of a linear operator

1. What is a linearly independent set within repeated powers of a linear operator?

A linearly independent set within repeated powers of a linear operator is a set of vectors that, when multiplied by the linear operator multiple times, do not produce any linear combinations that equal zero. This means that none of the vectors in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others, making the set "independent".

2. Why is it important to study linearly independent sets within repeated powers of a linear operator?

Studying linearly independent sets within repeated powers of a linear operator is important in understanding the behavior and properties of linear operators. It allows us to determine whether a set of vectors is a basis for the vector space, and helps us to solve systems of linear equations and perform other mathematical operations.

3. How can we determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent within repeated powers of a linear operator?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent within repeated powers of a linear operator, we can use the method of finding the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors. If the determinant is non-zero, then the vectors are linearly independent. Alternatively, we can also use the definition of linear independence mentioned earlier, where no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the others.

4. Can a set of vectors be linearly independent within repeated powers of a linear operator, but not linearly independent in general?

Yes, it is possible for a set of vectors to be linearly independent within repeated powers of a linear operator, but not linearly independent in general. This is because the repeated powers of the linear operator may have special properties that make the vectors linearly independent, but when considered as a whole, the vectors may not satisfy the definition of linear independence.

5. What are the applications of studying linearly independent sets within repeated powers of a linear operator?

The study of linearly independent sets within repeated powers of a linear operator has various applications in mathematics and other fields. It is used in linear algebra, differential equations, and control theory. It is also used in computer science and engineering to solve systems of linear equations and model real-world systems.