1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Link between 'time' component of 4-momentum and energy

1. Nov 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

$$ E = -\vec{v_{obs}} \cdot \vec{p} $$

Where ## \vec{p} ## is the four momentum, and ## \vec{v_{obs}}## the velocity of the observer.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This was a stated result in a GR course. I look through my SR notes and find that I have actually never seen a proof that ## p^{0}## is exactly,definitely the energy.

I understand that the norm of the four momentum will be invariant etc...
    But the phrase in the notes I have "For a free, non-interacting particle there is no physically meaningful property of "energy"" is making me uncomfortable - have I fundamentally misunderstood something?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, if ##c## is the in vacuo speed of light, then energy is ##c p^0##; you need that extra ##c## to make the units come out right.

Anyway, how you can take an inner product of a 3-vector ##\vec{v_{obs}}## and a 4-vector ##p##?

4. Nov 28, 2016 #3
    Good question - I presume it's the four velocity of the observer (these are directly from my lecture notes).

I guess another part of my confusion is the fact that we have :

$$
    p^{\mu} = m \frac{dx^{\mu}}{d\tau}
    \\[2mm]
    p^{\mu} = \bigg(E,\vec{\dot{x}} \bigg) \\[2mm]
    \implies m\frac{dx^{0}}{d\tau} = E
    $$
    Which I find a bit odd/ how is this the same quantity as my familiar 'classical' energy? Even if the units do work out (I have missed a factor of c somewhere).

Edit - The oddness to me being that we somehow have some kind of rate of change of a time co-ordinate associated with an energy.... so that somehow having higher energy, is associated, in some sense with a higher rate of motion in time?? But that sounds bananas to me...

5. Nov 28, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No! For a particle of mass ##m## moving with 3-velocity ##\vec{u}## the 4-momentum is ##p = (m \gamma c, m \gamma \vec{u})##, where ##\gamma = (1 - u^2/c^2)^{-1/2}##, while the (total) energy is ##E = m c^2 \gamma##. Note that ##E = p^0 c##, NOT ##p^0##. Why do you continue to ignore this distinction? If nothing else, look at the units: the units of momentum are ##\text{mass}\times \text{velocity}## while the units of energy are ##\text{mass} \times \text{velocity}^2##. It has been that way ever since the time of Newton.

6. Nov 29, 2016 #5
    Sure, sure - the units are important and I entirely agree that ## p^{0}c ## has the correct units of energy. What I find confusing is not the units, but the idea that somehow a translation in time is related to my classical picture of energy :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted