1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linking current-carrying wires to magnets

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    This may be an obvious question but I have no idea:
    How can anyone link current-carrying wires (solenoids) and its formulae, to magnets?!
    All I've researched so far points out that magnets have their own stable magnetic field, attributed to the alignment of spins of the electrons of the atoms which the magnet is composed of. But is that all to it? Are there any other relationships, anything that I'm missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Cluelessness! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    Basically, yes.

The only thing that causes magnetic fields is the movement of electric charge.

Even a charge moving with uniform velocity has a magnetic field.

Mechanically useful magnetic fields come from circular motion or spin of charges.

There's no essential difference between the tiny circular motion or spin of electrons in a magnet and the large-scale circular motion of electrons in a solenoid. :wink:

4. Apr 4, 2012 #3
    Thanks a lot tiny-tim! :D
    Does that mean magnets exhibit magnetic properties solely due to synchronised movement of electrons i.e aligned domains? So this means that a current is not required like a solenoid? Or do aligned domains produce a current?
    Sorry, I'm nearly there...I think :)

5. Apr 4, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i'm really not familiar with magnetic domains, or magnetisable material generally :redface:

i think that if there was a current, it would be called a polarisation current, rather than something to do with magnetism :confused:

6. Apr 4, 2012 #5
    There is no link between electron spin, and the currents in a (air core) solenoidal coil producing a magnetic field. The magnetic field is due to Ampere's Law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampère's_circuital_law.
    Electrons do have orbital and intrinsic spin dipole fields, which do impact magnetic materials and EPR (electron paramagnetic resonance).

The on-axis field in a solenoid is given in http://www.phys.uri.edu/~gerhard/PHY204/tsl215.pdf

7. Apr 16, 2012 #6
    Sorry for replying so late!! ><
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate it :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook