Linking gravity, angular velocity and radius

In summary: Earth's surface.The radius of a satellite's orbit is where mv^2/r exactly balances the gravitational force so the radius increases.
jonnybmac

Homework Statement

I am having trouble linking gravity to the radius of the Earth and angular velocity. I was using this as a solid method to confirm the equation for values of a different sort based on centripetal acceleration. When inputting the values though it does not add up and I cannot see where and why

Homework Equations

w = θ/time
α = w2r = centripetal acceleration
α = g
g = w2r = acceleration due to gravity
r = g/w2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since α has the values m s-2 and g = m s-2
α = gif
w = 2π/86400 (rotation of Earth per day)
≈ 7.272 * 10-5 rad s-1

and
g = 9.81 m s-2

then aranging
g = w2r

to

r = g/w2
= 9.81/(7.272 * 10-5)2 m
≈1.86 * 109 m

Now if I google radius of Earth I get 6.37 * 106 m

This is nowhere near the radius that I should be getting with the above equation, so where am I going wrong?

Many thanks for reading

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all: Always write out your units. A statement such as g=9.81 is utterly meaningless unless you write out the m/s^2.

To answer your question, what you computed is not the radius of the Earth. It is the radius at which the gravitational acceleration at the Earth’s surface would be sufficient to keep an orbit with a one day period.

At the Earth’s actual surface, the gravitational acceleration is far too large on its own to be in a circular orbit with that period. That is why you feel a normal force from the ground that generally is sufficient to just balance out the gravitational acceleration. The net acceleration is a result of both the gravitational and the normal force.

Likes QuantumQuest, jonnybmac and PeroK
Orodruin said:
First of all: Always write out your units. A statement such as g=9.81 is utterly meaningless unless you write out the m/s^2.

To answer your question, what you computed is not the radius of the Earth. It is the radius at which the gravitational acceleration at the Earth’s surface would be sufficient to keep an orbit with a one day period.

At the Earth’s actual surface, the gravitational acceleration is far too large on its own to be in a circular orbit with that period. That is why you feel a normal force from the ground that generally is sufficient to just balance out the gravitational acceleration. The net acceleration is a result of both the gravitational and the normal force.

Thank you for your response, and apologies for the lack of units - I have amended the original post.

So centripetal acceleration is not the same as gravitational acceleration? how would you link the radius of the Earth and its gravitational acceleration at its surface then?

I was of the understanding that at whatever radius and speed the particle is travelling, it would produce a different centripetal acceleration.
In the case of earth, I presumed the 9.81 m s-2 was relative to the distance from the centre and the angular speed at which it is travelling. Since angular speed is a constant, the only thing that can change gravitational acceleration is the radius?

jonnybmac said:
Thank you for your response, and apologies for the lack of units - I have amended the original post.

So centripetal acceleration is not the same as gravitational acceleration? how would you link the radius of the Earth and its gravitational acceleration at its surface then?

I was of the understanding that at whatever radius and speed the particle is travelling, it would produce a different centripetal acceleration.
In the case of earth, I presumed the 9.81 m s-2 was relative to the distance from the centre and the angular speed at which it is travelling. Since angular speed is a constant, the only thing that can change gravitational acceleration is the radius?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_of_Earth#Variation_in_gravity_and_apparent_gravity

The gravity at the Earth's surface depends only on the mass and radius of the Earth. The Earth's rotation has the effect of reducing the "apparent" gravity slightly (and changing its direction slightly) because of the centripetal force needed to keep things on the surface.

If the Earth were spinning fast enough, then the apparent gravity at the Equator could be zero. Although it would be unaffected at the Poles.

Likes jonnybmac
Thank you for clearing that up for me

Centripetal force mv^2/r is the _net_ force that must be applied to an object to make it move in a circle of radius r and Velocity v.

If the applied force is greater than mv^2/r the object would normally move with a smaller radius than r. You can prove this by dropping an object. Gravity at the Earth's surface provides more force than mv^2/r so dropped objects fall, reducing r.

Objects in contact with the Earth's surface experience a normal force which the reduces the net force to exactly mv^2/r so the radius r remains constant.

Likes jonnybmac

1. What is the relationship between gravity, angular velocity, and radius?

The relationship between gravity, angular velocity, and radius is described by the equation F = mv²/r, where F is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the object, v is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How does angular velocity affect an object's movement under the force of gravity?

Angular velocity determines the speed at which an object moves in a circular path under the force of gravity. The higher the angular velocity, the faster the object moves.

3. Can the radius of an object affect the strength of gravity?

Yes, the radius of an object can affect the strength of gravity. As the radius increases, the force of gravity decreases. This is because the distance between the center of the object and the center of the gravitational force increases.

4. How does gravity affect the motion of an object with a constant angular velocity?

If an object has a constant angular velocity, the force of gravity will continue to act on it, causing it to move in a circular path. The object will maintain its speed and direction, but the force of gravity will continuously change its direction, causing it to move in a circular motion.

5. Can the relationship between gravity, angular velocity, and radius be applied to other types of motion?

Yes, the relationship between gravity, angular velocity, and radius can be applied to any type of circular motion, including planetary motion and the motion of objects in a centrifuge. It can also be used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects, such as planets or satellites.