Linking Pressure, Force and Velocity

In summary, this person designed a project involving firing paintballs at a target, and wants to link the initial pressure (psi) within the container to the force (in newtons) exerted on the paintball upon release of the pressure.
rickya_23
For a project, i have designed a brief which involves firing paintballs at a target. the paintballs are shot out of a tube which has linked to it a container in which the air pressure (psi) can be altered. it is this pressure that provides the force to propell the paintball towards the target. i have a light gate that will measure the velocity of the paintball as it leaves the tubing, a pressure pump with the ability to alter the psi of the air within the container and a force sensor linked to the target which will register the force of impact.

i want to link the initial pressure within the container (psi) to the force this exerts on the paintball on release of the pressure using an equation. then the force to the velocity of the paintball using an equation.

if anybody can provide equations, help or support it will be much appreciated.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,

This is the way i see it, it may be wrong, but i'll have a go.

Firstly you need to know what velocity pressure is, this is 1/2PV^2, p= density of air 1.2 kg m3. this will give you the velocity pressure in Pascals, convert your Psi into Pascals which is 1 psi = 6.89476 Kpa, your then need to try to find the velocity of your air through tube.

Then i would shoot the paint ball and measure the displacement, then i would use the equation of motion V^2 = U^2 + 2as and work it back to find acceleration, or use S= Ut + 1/2at^2

Force = MxA

Last edited:
rickya_23 said:
For a project, i have designed a brief which involves firing paintballs at a target. the paintballs are shot out of a tube which has linked to it a container in which the air pressure (psi) can be altered. it is this pressure that provides the force to propell the paintball towards the target. i have a light gate that will measure the velocity of the paintball as it leaves the tubing, a pressure pump with the ability to alter the psi of the air within the container and a force sensor linked to the target which will register the force of impact.

i want to link the initial pressure within the container (psi) to the force this exerts on the paintball on release of the pressure using an equation. then the force to the velocity of the paintball using an equation.

if anybody can provide equations, help or support it will be much appreciated.
thanks

The pressure (in psi above air pressure) times the cross-sectional area of the paintball (pi*r^2 and r is measured in inches) gives the force on the ball. In order to calculate the exit velocity of the ball it helps to make some simplifying assumptions (no friction, no air leakage, etc), you need to know how long the tube is, and the mass of the ball. Assuming constant acceleration and a starting velocity of zero gives the final velocity by using one of the kinematic equations from mechanics.

Then, to calculate the imparted force at impact, it again helps to make some simplifications- no air resistance, no spin, etc. But physically, it makes more sense to talk about the energy imparted to the target rather than the force. and again, making some simplifications and using the conservation of energy gives the result.

Does that help?

1. What is the relationship between pressure, force, and velocity?

The relationship between pressure, force, and velocity is described by the equation P=F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This means that as the force applied increases, the pressure and velocity also increase, while a larger area over which the force is applied decreases the pressure and velocity.

2. How is pressure measured?

Pressure is typically measured using a device called a manometer, which consists of a column of liquid (usually mercury) that rises and falls in response to changes in pressure. The height of the column is then used to calculate the pressure using the equation P=F/A.

3. How does pressure affect objects in motion?

Pressure affects objects in motion by determining the amount of force that is exerted on them. If the pressure is high, the force will also be high, which can result in an increase in velocity. On the other hand, if the pressure is low, the force will be low, resulting in a decrease in velocity.

4. What factors can affect the pressure, force, and velocity of an object?

The main factors that can affect the pressure, force, and velocity of an object include the surface area over which the force is applied, the amount of force applied, and the properties of the object itself (such as its mass and shape). Other environmental factors, such as air resistance and gravity, can also play a role.

5. How can an understanding of pressure, force, and velocity be applied in real-world situations?

An understanding of pressure, force, and velocity is crucial in fields such as engineering, aerodynamics, and fluid dynamics. It can be used to design and optimize structures, machines, and vehicles, as well as predict and analyze the behavior of fluids in various systems. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design of sports equipment and understanding the effects of air resistance on moving objects.