Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Linux & perl] Command line arguments!

1. Nov 11, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    I am in process of leraning Linux. I have been structed in understanding of command line arguments and @ARGV in perl.
    What is command line arguments? Really, i have no idea.
    Though, i have implemented a short program in perl to list this command line arguments but i couldn't see any list when i run my program.

#! /usr/bin/perl

foreach (@ARGV) {
    print "$_\n";
    }

Can any one help with basic information what does this command line arguments and how the perl is accessing them?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Suppose you have the script stored in a file named args.pl. Then type this at the command prompt:

./args.pl one two three

What do you see? ("one two three" are the command line arguments to the script)

4. Nov 11, 2012 #3
    Yes, this i understood before itself. What is use of this? if it prints argumetns then what? How it would be useful in practically?

5. Nov 11, 2012 #4

jtbell

it's just a demonstration of how to get the command line arguments, without regard to how you're going to use them.

By using command-line arguments, you can write scripts that behave like Unix/Linux command-line commands.

6. Nov 11, 2012 #5

Borek

Type at your command prompt:

ls

ls *.pl

ls -al

It is the same command (list) but in each case output is different - thanks to the command argument.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook