Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Flanders - Differential Forms with Applications to the Physical Sciences
dextercioby said:Only 5, I believe, unless you know something I don't. :)
Auto-Didact said:I want to say:
Thorne & Blandford - Modern Classical Physics: Optics, Fluids, Plasmas, Elasticity, Relativity, and Statistical Physics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691159025/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Anyone read this or is this really as new as it seems to be? Having read MTW, I'm dying to get my hands on this.
Edit: just saw that this was actually mentioned already, any thoughts from anyone who has read it? The suspense is killing me!
Without mentioning Sedra and Smith?analogdesign said:This list has been Physics heavy. How about some Electrical Engineering? These are some bibles if you're interested in microelectronics.
Sze -- Physics of Semiconductor Devices
Oppenheim and Shaefer -- Discrete-Time Signal Processing
Mead and Conway -- Introduction to VLSI Systems
Gray, Meyer, Hurst, and Lewis -- Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits
Rabaey -- Digital Integrated Circuit Design
Patterson and Hennessy -- Computer Organization and Design
Hennessy and Patterson -- Computer Architecture, A Quantitative Approach
MathematicalPhysicist said:Without mentioning Sedra and Smith?
Great book, but not a bible.jedishrfu said:Flanders - Differential Forms with Applications to the Physical Sciences
Yes, it exists, but to get it, I had to search for Gelfand instead of Gel'fand.jasonRF said:I haven't read it but volume 6 seems to exist:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1470426641/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Demystifier said:Great book, but not a bible.
Who said that only men write bibles?Daverz said:Yvonne Choquet-Bruhat and Cecile DeWitt-Morette, Analysis, Manifolds and Physics
jedishrfu said:I read the first chapter and looked at it at Barnes Noble. It was behind the counter at the local BN.
It’s high quality printing at its best. It’s a tome and not something you’d carry around a lot. The illustrations are very good.
I was considering buying it but just couldn’t decide. I felt that maybe Arfken and Weber was more approachable. I couldn’t find that one topic in the book where the book spoke to me and would cause me to buy it.
George Jones said:Even though there is overlap, (Thorne and Blandford) and (Arfen and Weber) are quite different books; they are not meant to do the same thing. Thorne and Blandford treats advanced Classical Physics. At times, it uses standard Mathematical Methods to do this, but the emphasis is on the physics. At other times, Thorne and Blandford uses more geometrical mathematics that isn't so standard in Mathematical Methods texts. Arfken and Weber has some application to physics, but emphasizes the methods.
Likes and dislikes are very personal and subjective. I am only lukewarm with respect to Arfken and Weber, but many folks really like it (including my wife!).
Most people probably want/need the mathematical techniques in Arfken and Weber more than they want/need Thorne and Blandford's treatment of advanced classical physics. A couple of months ago, my wife came to my office, saw Blandford and Thorne, read the title and subtitle, and exclaimed "What is THIS doing on your shelf!" She never would have predicted that I would buy such a book.
I've already mentioned it in #25.DrClaude said:What about Donald Knuth's The Art of Computer Programming? I've never read it, but heard so much about it. Maybe the CS people can chime in.
Daverz said:I.S. Gradshteyn and I.M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series and Products
Scrumhalf said:Joseph Goodman - Introduction to Fourier Optics.
Scrumhalf said:Haha, I was about to post that!
Dr Transport said:Consider Gaskill as the old and Goodman the new...
Are you saying that the new testament is written before the old testament?Dr Transport said:Jack Gaskill was Joe Goodman's student .
Demystifier said:Are you saying that the new testament is written before the old testament?
Also necessary (from the hands-on side):analogdesign said:This list has been Physics heavy. How about some Electrical Engineering? These are some bibles if you're interested in microelectronics.
Sze -- Physics of Semiconductor Devices
Oppenheim and Shaefer -- Discrete-Time Signal Processing
Mead and Conway -- Introduction to VLSI Systems
Gray, Meyer, Hurst, and Lewis -- Analysis and Design of Analog Integrated Circuits
Rabaey -- Digital Integrated Circuit Design
Patterson and Hennessy -- Computer Organization and Design
Hennessy and Patterson -- Computer Architecture, A Quantitative Approach