Listserve Problem: How to Switch to Digest Mode

• Thread starter Canute
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about using listserve and difficulty with command lines. The solution is to use the word "SET" followed by the listname and "DIGEST" to switch to digest mode. The relevant instructions can be found in the LISTSERV manual.
Canute
Does anybody here use listserve? I'm having trouble getting my command lines right and can't find the relevant instructions.

Specifically, I want to switch to 'digest' mode but the instruction "digest" doesn't do it, nor does "listname digest", and nor does "digest listname". What am I missing?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Assuming this is the classic LISTSERV software, you're missing the word SET:

SET listname DIGEST

See http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8d/user/user.html for the other commands and options. (I found this by starting with a Google search for "listserv commands", by the way.)

Yeah, you're right. I did read the manual at that link but found it a little ambiguous.Thanks.

1. What is "Listserve Problem: How to Switch to Digest Mode"?

"Listserve Problem: How to Switch to Digest Mode" is a common issue faced by users of mailing list services, where they want to switch from receiving individual emails to receiving a digest or compilation of all the emails sent in a specific time period.

2. Why would someone want to switch to digest mode?

Switching to digest mode can help reduce the number of emails received in a day and make it easier to manage and read through all the messages at once. It can also help with organizing and archiving important information in one place.

3. How do I switch to digest mode?

The process of switching to digest mode may vary depending on the specific mailing list service being used. Generally, you can access your account settings and look for an option to change your email delivery preferences. Some services may also allow you to switch to digest mode by replying to a specific email with a command in the subject line. It is recommended to refer to the service's help or support section for specific instructions.

4. Can I switch back to receiving individual emails after switching to digest mode?

Yes, most mailing list services allow users to switch back and forth between digest mode and individual email mode. You can simply follow the same steps as before to change your email delivery preferences.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using digest mode?

While digest mode can be convenient, it may also result in delayed communication as you will only receive emails in batches rather than in real-time. Additionally, important emails may get buried in the digest and be overlooked. It is important to carefully consider the pros and cons before making the switch.