1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Literature Review- Aluminium Ring

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    Hi there,

I'm a university student and am stuck regarding a literature review for my individual project.

I was given a schematic sketch of the setup of my experiment that showed a force acting on a hollow ring, and a strain gauges attached on the ring measured strain for the set force.

I was wanting to know/find out as to why a ring is more effective than, eg. a square cutout, in measuring strain?

I tried looking for information on Proving Rings, but not found any answer there.

Main question is that is there any book/journal that highlights how the geometry affects the accuracy and/or effectiveness of strain measurement?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure I understand the set up but..

Is this "ring" being stretched like the link in a chain? If so then using a rectangular link rather than a eliptical link would concentrate the forces in the corners. eg you couldn't test it close to breaking strain because it would fail in the sharp corners before there was significant strain in the sides where the guages are. Something like that anyway.

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    Yes, that is what I thought as well, the stress and strain concentrations will be highest at the edges if a square/rectangular link was used rather than elliptical or circular ring.

I have attached a diagram to illustrate the setup. The "ring" is basically going to be pulled via rod that it is connected to.

Would you know of any literature which would highlight this information?

Thanks

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted