Load and deflection (beam experiment)

So if you double the span, the deflection will be 8 times larger.In summary, The relationship between load and deflection is directly proportional, meaning that any changes in load will have a direct effect on deflection and vice versa. The bending moment is calculated by taking into account the distance between forces and their direction, and as the span increases, the bending moment also increases. Additionally, the relationship between span and deflection is not linear, with deflection being proportional to the span to the 3rd power. This means that doubling the span will result in a deflection that is 8 times larger.
student 123

Homework Statement

hi, iv just got a few questions and I am hoping someone can help me:)

1) so the relationship between load and deflection is liner but how can i explain it further?
2) and I am not sure about the relationship between deflection and span?
3) and what happens to bending moment as the span is increased?

i know all of them can be defined in one sentence of two but i will be greaful if someone can explain this to me in detail,

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt not sure if its correct:
The load and deflection are directly proportional to each other which tells us if either load is changed it will have a direct effect on deflection and vice versa.
When calculating the bending moment distance between forces and direction are taken into account, as the span is increased the bending moment also increases.

Like load and deflection span and deflection also share a liner relationship

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Much of this assessment is correct. But the load deflection is definitely not a linear function of the span. Typically, the deflation with be proportional to the span to the 3rd power.

1. What is load and deflection in a beam experiment?

Load and deflection refer to the amount of force applied to a beam and the resulting displacement or bending of the beam, respectively. In a beam experiment, these measurements are used to determine the stiffness and strength of the beam.

2. How is load and deflection measured in a beam experiment?

Load is typically measured using a load cell or force gauge, while deflection is measured using a dial gauge or displacement sensor. These instruments record the changes in force and displacement as the beam is subjected to different loads.

3. What factors affect the load and deflection of a beam?

The load and deflection of a beam are affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam, the dimensions of the beam, the type of loading applied, and any external supports or restraints.

4. How is the relationship between load and deflection represented in a beam experiment?

In a beam experiment, the relationship between load and deflection is typically represented by a load-deflection curve, which plots the applied load on the x-axis and the resulting deflection on the y-axis. This curve can provide valuable information about the stiffness and strength of the beam.

5. What are some applications of load and deflection measurements in beam experiments?

Load and deflection measurements in beam experiments are used in a variety of applications, including structural design, material testing, and quality control. They can also be used to study the behavior of different materials and determine the appropriate load-bearing capacity for various structures.