Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of the area under a load vs deflection curve. Some believe it represents energy absorption while others argue it represents work done. However, it is agreed that work and energy have the same units and can be interchangeable. The area under the curve represents the work done on the beam or the energy stored in the beam when bent.
tomtomtom1
Hi all

I was wondering if someone could help explain what the area under a load vs deflection curve tells you.

I have a concrete sample which I loaded until it failed.

I plotted the load (kN) and deflection (mm) as shown below.

My question is; if the curve in red can be represented as a function f(x) (which I can do via regression) and I integrated this function from 0 to 0.75 (0.75 was the deflection at failure) then what does this tell me?

What does the area under the curve tell you?

upload_2019-1-1_2-56-3.png

From my research the area under a load vs deflection curve is meant to represent energy absorption but others have said it actually represents Work done?

I was wondering if someone could explain?

Thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-1_2-56-3.png
    upload_2019-1-1_2-56-3.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 3,247
Engineering news on Phys.org
Isn't is just a case of units? Work = force * distance. Work is energy. Load is a force. Displacement is a distance. So the area under that curve has units of energy.

anorlunda said:
Isn't is just a case of units? Work = force * distance. Work is energy. Load is a force. Displacement is a distance. So the area under that curve has units of energy.

Hi Anorlunda

I know I am being thick but I don't understand.

Are you saying the energy absorption and work are the same thing and if they are then the area under the curve tells you the Work?

Work is defined as "a force is said to do work if, when acting, there is a displacement of the point of application in the direction of the force. For example, when a ball is held above the ground and then dropped, the work done on the ball as it falls is equal to the weight of the ball (a force) multiplied by the distance to the ground (a displacement). Work transfers energy from one place to another, or one form to another. "

Thanks

Yes, the units of work and the units of energy are the same. When you lift or lower a ball to a different lev then stop, the work you did equals the change in potential energy.

If you are bending the beam the area is the work done by you on the beam. If the deformation is elastic then its also the same as the energy stored in the beam when bent. When you allow the beam to bend back straight it does work on you (or you do negative work on the beam).

What is the Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve?

The Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve is a measure of the energy absorbed by a material when subjected to an external load. It represents the total work done on the material as it undergoes deformation.

Why is the Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve important?

The Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve provides valuable information about the material properties of a specimen, such as its stiffness, strength, and toughness. It can also be used to compare the performance of different materials under the same loading conditions.

How is the Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve calculated?

The Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve is calculated by integrating the load vs deflection data using mathematical techniques. This can be done manually or with the help of software programs.

What factors can affect the shape of the Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve?

The shape of the Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve can be influenced by various factors, such as the type of material, its microstructure, the loading rate, the temperature, and the presence of defects or imperfections.

How can the Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve be used in practical applications?

The Area Under a Load Vs Deflection Curve is commonly used in engineering and materials science to characterize the mechanical behavior of materials and to design structures that can withstand specific loads and deformations. It is also used in quality control and failure analysis to assess the performance of materials in real-world situations.