Load resistance, dissipated power, transformers. (AC)

In summary: Assuming the wire resistance is all in the secondary winding of the input transformer, then the impedance looking into the primary winding of that transformer is: impedance = (R*L)/(I*V)
evol_w10lv

Homework Statement

I have got this scheme:
ahj96jyqbpxh7gpg1bne.png

Alternating voltage V = 120 V,
Total resistance of wires Rw = 0.6 Ω
Current is 100 A, ratio 1:5 and 5:1 (as we can see it in the scheme)

Have to calculate dissipated power in the load (Pl), dissipated power in the wires (Pw), total dissipated power (Pt) and voltage in load (Vl).

Homework Equations

Vl = I * Rl
Pl = (5*I)2 * Rl \\5 - because using given ratio
Pw = Iw2 * Rw = 0.6 * Iw2 \\Iw - current true the wires

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to use this equation Pt= V*I = Pw + Pl= 0.6 * Iw2 + (5*I)2 * Rl
But i have got lack of understanding, how exactly is current true the wires Iw, total current It and I guess current in the load is Il = 100A?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what does the load reistance R_L look like at the input winding of the output transformer?

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I understad your question corectly.
I don't know how to calculate the value of the load resistance reflected back through the transformer.

evol_w10lv said:
I'm not sure that I understad your question corectly.
I don't know how to calculate the value of the load resistance reflected back through the transformer.

Then look it up! It's a very simple and extremely important formula based on power out = power in.

I guess, you are speaking about ideal transformer formula P in = P out then first transformer's I1*V1 is the same as second transformer's I2 * V2, but there are wire resistance between them.

evol_w10lv said:
I guess, you are speaking about ideal transformer formula P in = P out then first transformer's I1*V1 is the same as second transformer's I2 * V2, but there are wire resistance between them.

Assume the wire resistance is all in the secondary winding of the input transformer.

So if the output transformer secondary winding load is R, what is the impedance looking into the primary winding of that transformer?

1. What is load resistance?

Load resistance refers to the opposition or hindrance that a circuit provides to the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms and determines the amount of current that can pass through a circuit.

2. How is load resistance related to dissipated power?

The amount of power dissipated in a circuit is directly proportional to the load resistance. This means that as the load resistance increases, the amount of power dissipated also increases.

3. What is dissipated power?

Dissipated power is the energy that is lost or converted into heat when an electric current flows through a circuit. It is also known as power loss and is measured in watts.

4. How does a transformer work?

A transformer is a device that is used to convert high-voltage, low-current electricity into low-voltage, high-current electricity (or vice versa). It works on the principle of electromagnetic induction, where an alternating current in one coil (primary coil) creates a changing magnetic field that induces a current in another coil (secondary coil).

5. What are the different types of transformers?

There are two main types of transformers: step-up transformers and step-down transformers. Step-up transformers increase the voltage and decrease the current, while step-down transformers decrease the voltage and increase the current. Other types of transformers include autotransformers, isolation transformers, and three-phase transformers.