Loading of Series vs. Parallel tank circuits

In summary, when an inductive load is placed on both a series and parallel LC circuit driven at resonance, the circuits will still behave as a short and an open circuit respectively, but the resonant frequency may be altered.
Jdo300
Hi All,

I have a few questions about resonant circuits when they are loaded. Let’s say that we have a simple series LC circuit and a simple parallel LC circuit driven by a function generator at frequency X. If there is one coil that is inductively coupled to the coil of each circuit and a load of X ohms is placed on each coil, how will the two circuits respond to the load?

From what I understand so far when I series LC circuit is driven at resonance, the source sees it as a dead short (plus whatever resistance there is) and the parallel circuit will not let as much power from the source through at resonance (please correct me if I got something mixed up here). But what happens in the case that the inductive load is placed on each circuit when they are driven at resonance? (assuming that they are not knocked out of resonance by the load).

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jdo300 said:
Hi All,

I have a few questions about resonant circuits when they are loaded. Let’s say that we have a simple series LC circuit and a simple parallel LC circuit driven by a function generator at frequency X. If there is one coil that is inductively coupled to the coil of each circuit and a load of X ohms is placed on each coil, how will the two circuits respond to the load?

From what I understand so far when I series LC circuit is driven at resonance, the source sees it as a dead short (plus whatever resistance there is) and the parallel circuit will not let as much power from the source through at resonance (please correct me if I got something mixed up here). But what happens in the case that the inductive load is placed on each circuit when they are driven at resonance? (assuming that they are not knocked out of resonance by the load).

Thanks,
Jason O
In a series resonant circuit, you put the load in series with L and C. At resonance the LC behave as a short and the source sees only the resistive load.
Ina parallel circuit, the load is in parallel with L and C. At resonance the LC behaves as an open circuit and again the source sees only the resistive load.
If you use an inductive load coupled with the primary inductance this will alter the resonant frequency, but the circuit will still behave in the same manner.

Hi Jason,

When a load is placed on a resonant circuit, it will affect the behavior of the circuit in different ways depending on whether it is a series or parallel tank circuit. Let's break down the two scenarios:

1. Series LC circuit: When a load is placed on a series LC circuit, it will decrease the Q factor of the circuit. This means that the circuit will have a wider bandwidth and will not be as sharply resonant as before. The source will still see the circuit as a dead short, but the power transfer will be reduced due to the lower Q factor. This can be seen as a decrease in the amplitude of the current through the circuit.

2. Parallel LC circuit: In a parallel LC circuit, the load will have a larger impact on the resonant frequency. It will shift the resonance frequency slightly, but it will also decrease the Q factor of the circuit. This means that the circuit will be less selective and will allow a wider range of frequencies to pass through. The source will not see the circuit as a dead short, but the power transfer will still be reduced due to the lower Q factor.

In both cases, the load will have a dampening effect on the resonant circuit, reducing its efficiency. However, the specific impact on the circuit will depend on whether it is a series or parallel tank circuit.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the difference between series and parallel tank circuits?

A series tank circuit is a type of electrical circuit where all of the components are connected in a single loop, while a parallel tank circuit has components that are connected in parallel branches. In a series circuit, the total impedance is equal to the sum of the individual impedances, while in a parallel circuit, the total impedance is less than the smallest individual impedance.

2. How does loading affect a series tank circuit?

Loading in a series tank circuit refers to the addition of an external load, such as a resistor, to the circuit. This causes a decrease in the overall circuit impedance, which in turn increases the current flow through the circuit. As a result, the resonant frequency of the circuit shifts and the bandwidth increases.

3. How does loading affect a parallel tank circuit?

Unlike a series tank circuit, loading in a parallel tank circuit causes an increase in the overall impedance and a decrease in the current flow. This results in a decrease in the resonant frequency and a narrowing of the bandwidth. Additionally, loading can also affect the Q factor of a parallel tank circuit, decreasing its selectivity.

4. What is the purpose of using a tank circuit?

A tank circuit is commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits to select a specific frequency for amplification or filtering. It consists of an inductor and capacitor connected in series or parallel, which create a resonant frequency that can be tuned to the desired frequency. The tank circuit also helps to amplify the signal by increasing the voltage and current at the resonant frequency.

5. How does the choice between series and parallel tank circuits affect circuit performance?

The choice between a series or parallel tank circuit depends on the desired function of the circuit. A series tank circuit is better for amplification, while a parallel tank circuit is better for filtering. Additionally, the choice can also affect the stability and efficiency of the circuit. Series circuits tend to be more stable, while parallel circuits can be more efficient. Ultimately, the choice depends on the specific application and design considerations.