Locating Local Extrema in a Polynomial Equation

In summary, to find the local extrema of x-coordinates in this equation, take the first derivative and set it equal to 0. Use polynomial division to simplify the equation and solve for the roots. Then, plug the roots back into the original equation to find the local extrema, with the highest value being the maximum.
alex123aaa
how can i find the local extrema of x-coordinates in this equation?

f(x)=x^4-3x^2+2x

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a first derivative and set it equal to 0. Solve for x.

yeah i have to solve for x but how wil i get rid of the derivative 4x^3? i don't know how to remove it

You don't need to remove it.

Hint: There's a pretty obvious solution, find it and use polynomial division

here's my solution i really don't know if this is correct but please correct me so

take the derivative = 4x^3-6x+2

Set it equal to zero and begin solving. 4x^3-6x+2 = 0
4x^3-6x = -2
2x(2x^2-3) = -2
2x^2 - 3 = 0 | 2x = 0
2x^2 = 3 | x = 0
x^2 = 3/2
x = plus or minus the square root of 3/2 and x = 0

Well, you have a wrong step

how would 2x(2x^2-3)=-2
Suggests 2x^2-3=0 or 2x=0? If 2x^2-3=0 or 2x=0 then 2x(2x^2-3) would equal 0, certainly not -2.

Look at 4x^3-6x+2=0.
There's a complicated general formula for this. But I say you can at least guess one obvious solution, then your problem reduces to solving a second degree equation.

could you tell me at least what is that formula please I am running out of time i have to turn this paper in tomorrow

alex123aaa said:
here's my solution i really don't know if this is correct but please correct me so

take the derivative = 4x^3-6x+2

Set it equal to zero and begin solving. 4x^3-6x+2 = 0
4x^3-6x = -2
2x(2x^2-3) = -2
2x^2 - 3 = 0 | 2x = 0
"If ab= 0 then either a= 0 or b= 0". Not ab equal to anything other than 0!

2x^2 = 3 | x = 0
x^2 = 3/2
Did you notice that [itex]4(1)^3- 6(1)+ 2= 0[/itex]? Once you know that 1 is a root, you know that x- 1 is a factor. Divide [itex]4x^2- 6x+ 2[/itex] by x- 1 to reduce to a quadratic equation for the other roots.

alex123aaa said:
x = 0

Your roots are wrong, but once you get them correctly (plug them back into the equation to make sure it checks out). Then plug them back one by one in the original equation ( x^4 - 3x + 2x) and see which one gives you the highest value - that would be your maximum.

Last edited:

1. What is meant by local extrema?

Local extrema refer to the points on a graph where there is a maximum or minimum value in a specific region or interval. These points can be found by finding the highest or lowest point within a certain range of values.

2. How do you find local extrema?

To find local extrema, you must first find the critical points of the function by taking the derivative and setting it equal to zero. Then, you can plug in these critical points into the original function to determine if they are a maximum or minimum value.

3. What is the difference between a local and global extrema?

A local extrema is a maximum or minimum value within a specific interval, while a global extrema is the highest or lowest point on the entire graph. Local extrema can exist within a global extrema, but not the other way around.

4. Can a function have multiple local extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple local extrema. This can occur if there are multiple regions of increasing and decreasing intervals within the function.

5. How can local extrema be used in real-world applications?

Local extrema can be used in many fields of science, such as economics, biology, and physics. For example, in economics, local extrema can help determine the optimal price for a product to maximize profit. In biology, local extrema can help determine the ideal conditions for plant growth. In physics, local extrema can help determine the path of a projectile to reach its maximum height or distance.