Local potential and diagonal

In summary, the conversation discusses the diagonality of a local potential <r|V|r'> and how it relates to the Lippmann-Schwinger equation. The speaker questions whether locality always implies diagonality, using the example of a classical Schroedinger equation with an external electromagnetic field. The response suggests that a potential of the form V(r) may be considered locally diagonal, but it ultimately depends on the definition of a potential.
jonas_nilsson
Hello,

in my lecture notes I have made a note that if V is a local potential, then <r|V|r'> is diagonal. Is this true, and how come?

It popped up with the Lippmann-Schwinger equation, and I know it's important that V is local, but does really locality implicate diagonality?

Jonas

Physics news on Phys.org
jonas_nilsson said:
Hello,

in my lecture notes I have made a note that if V is a local potential, then <r|V|r'> is diagonal. Is this true, and how come?

It popped up with the Lippmann-Schwinger equation, and I know it's important that V is local, but does really locality implicate diagonality?

Jonas

I think no. Take the classical schroedinger equation with an external electromagnetic field (A,V). The interaction 1/2m(A.P+P.A+A^2) (e=c=1) is not diagonal in |r>.
However, you may say that the interaction is not a potential and a potential is of the form V(r) (grad V(r)= f(r) for a local local interaction) hence the diagonality of a potential.

Therefore it is a matter of words.

Seratend.

Hello Jonas,

Yes, it is true that if V is a local potential, then <r|V|r'> is diagonal. This is because a local potential is one that only depends on the position of the particle, and not on the position of the particle it is interacting with. This means that for any given position r, the potential V will have the same value regardless of the position r' of the interacting particle. This results in the matrix element <r|V|r'> being non-zero only when r = r', making it diagonal.

As for the connection to the Lippmann-Schwinger equation, the equation is used to solve for the wave function of a particle interacting with a potential. In order for the equation to be valid, the potential must be local and therefore diagonal. This is because the Lippmann-Schwinger equation relies on the potential being well-defined at every point in space, and a non-diagonal potential would lead to inconsistencies in the equation.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of locality and diagonality in potentials. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a local potential?

A local potential is a change in the membrane potential of a neuron that occurs in a specific area of the cell membrane. It is caused by the opening and closing of ion channels and can either be excitatory or inhibitory.

2. How is a local potential different from an action potential?

A local potential is a graded potential that occurs in a specific area of the cell membrane, while an action potential is an all-or-nothing signal that travels down the entire length of the axon. Local potentials are also weaker and can summate to either create an action potential or cancel each other out.

3. What is the significance of diagonal conductance in local potentials?

Diagonal conductance refers to the permeability of the membrane to a specific ion. In local potentials, diagonal conductance is important because it determines the direction and strength of the potential. If the membrane is more permeable to sodium, the potential will be excitatory, whereas if it is more permeable to potassium, the potential will be inhibitory.

4. What factors affect the strength of a local potential?

The strength of a local potential is affected by the amount of neurotransmitter released, the number of ion channels opened, and the concentration of ions inside and outside the cell. Additionally, the distance from the initial stimulus and the size of the initial stimulus can also influence the strength of a local potential.

5. How does summation contribute to the generation of an action potential?

Summation is the process of adding together multiple local potentials to reach the threshold for an action potential. If the sum of all the local potentials reaches the threshold, an action potential will be generated. This allows for a more precise and coordinated response from the neuron.