1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Locate and classify all extrema as absolute or relative

1. Jan 17, 2006 #1

Ok, I had a function and the directions were:

Locate and classify all extrema as absolute or relative...

I can't remember the equation, but when i found the critical numbers of the function.. i got a critical number at the origin.. but when i graphed it on the calculator.. i got the graph above.. what is (0,0).. Is it anything? I don't think it's a max or min at all.. why would i get a crit # but no max or min.. just at an odd place like that... where the graph begins... To me, the answer would only be.. an absolute minimum at around (2, -2) or whatever it is (i didn't label the axes.. but you understand what i mean)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Critical numbers are not always extrema, they also indicate where the derivative does not exist, saddle points (and what else I can't think of...)
  4. Jan 18, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do know what "extrema" MEANS?? If so solving this is just a matter of looking at the graph!
  5. Jan 18, 2006 #4
    extrema points where it's either higher than all points around.. or lower than all points around...

so would (0,0) be a relative max?..

my confusion is.. does it have to have a hill or a valley (does it have to go up then come back down.. or go down and come back up)... because at (0,0) it is just one side of the hill..
  6. Jan 18, 2006 #5

Homework Helper

Yes, (0,0) is a relative max, that is: there is some interval about 0 in which f(x) < f(0).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?